'Zerkstar 1.0

By Tvayumat, in Runewars List Building

It's not really a "Deathstar" in the sense of overloading on huge damage hits, but the 9-tray formation of 'zerkers is pretty formidable with a Frontline Spined Thresher and the Warsprinter + Aggressive Shrieker combo.

Thanks to their white Skill modifier, on a turn with four unstable runes, Berserkers can Reform + Charge 4 or Charge 1 + Charge 4 at Init 3, or attack with Threat 4 at Init 4 and THEN Charge 4 at a target behind the blocking unit, all while being more or less immune to Immobilize stopping you thanks to Warsprinter.

Of course, these values could all be reduced to 2 or 0 on a rune flip, but Bloodfire Witch gives you a 50/50 shot at improving whatever result you get to 2 or 4. On a bad turn, with no red runes at all, it's still a fairly dangerous unit with a good dial, and being able to take the extra single re-roll as long as your enemy has a panic token is a great ability.

Ravos, as always, is a beast. As long as he has some support, he can lay down an incredible amount of wounds in a tight battlefield, or hunt down a hero and eat them alive.

Since this list is hunting for unstable runes anyway, why not throw in a Fire Rune, too? Lets the support berserkers lend some damage to the front lines.

It also occurred to me while playing this list that Cacophony Reaver would lend his Lethal ability to a Fire Rune ranged attack. Huh... going to have to try that.

Ravos the Everhungry x1 [40]
--Unique: Insatiable Hunger [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 43

Berserkers x9 [50]
--Champion: Cacophony Reaver [6]
--Heavy: Frontline Spined Thresher [7]
--Heraldry: Warsprinter [3]
--Music: Aggressive Shrieker [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 71

Berserkers x4 [27]
--Champion: Bloodfire Witch [5]
--Equipment: Fire Rune [7]
--Heraldry: Raven Tabards [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 41

Flesh Rippers x2 [22]
--Unique: Dead Sprint [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 26

Spined Threshers x1 [18]
----------Total Unit Cost: 18

Yep! Absolutely one of the units on the top of my to-try list. Of course, it could be a year or more before I finally get all the pieces for it.

I tried two 3x2 of that combo in a list (w/ proxies). Warsprinter and Aggresive Shrieker is a very hard to predict combination and hard to roadblock.

Bloodfire Witch takes you from an average 2 Unstable, to an average 2.75 and very low chance of not having any. It helps a lot.

Edited by Church14
6 hours ago, Church14 said:

I tried two 3x2 of that combo in a list (w/ proxies). Warsprinter and Aggresive Shrieker is a very hard to predict combination and hard to roadblock.

Bloodfire Witch takes you from an average 2 Unstable, to an average 2.75 and very low chance of not having any. It helps a lot.

I rather like this arrangement, too.

I look at the 9-tray formation with the Siege slot and find myself wishing I could somehow hack Host of Crows into an Uthuk list.

4 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

I rather like this arrangement, too.

I look at the 9-tray formation with the Siege slot and find myself wishing I could somehow hack Host of Crows into an Uthuk list.

We could always do that Team Tourney that PhoenixRising is always begging me to run....

So I forgot about this thread and ran almost that exact list last night. I just had shield wall on the 9 tray and a bannerscamp on the 4 tray instead of fire rune and tabards.

Warsprinter is almost priceless to me for fighting Latari. Sure, it gets sniped, but having the stupidly long charge ranges on the way in is awesome. The 9 tray also used the white skill during combat. After smoking a 2x2 of reanimates on turn 2 with a long charge, I dialed in a melee and a skill on turn three. I killed the last two trays and then ran down the archers that the reanimates had been blocking for. On game two, I did essentially the exact same thing to a scion and the derpwood archers behind it.

Im also really happy with how distracting a single 2x1 of Dead Sprint Rippers is to an opponent. They have to honor it to defend archers and it does just enough damage that something like a single lancer/Golem/scion isn’t enough to stop it.

The solo Thresher also is a great utility unity and very fun to flank with.

I will run similar lists again

4 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Im also really happy with how distracting a single 2x1 of Dead Sprint Rippers is to an opponent. They have to honor it to defend archers and it does just enough damage that something like a single lancer/Golem/scion isn’t enough to stop it.

The solo Thresher also is a great utility unity and very fun to flank with.

Yes. Both.

26 pts for a not-quite-fire-and-forget ballistic missile with extremely unpredictable movement and 12 wounds? YES PLEASE. I find my small Ripper units don't always survive, but then I pretty much write them off when they hit the table.

If they're ignored, the opponent will suffer. Rippers flanking an infantry unit of 4 trays or fewer is a bloodbath. If they devote the time needed to kill them, it's taking heat off my more expensive units.

And yeah, the solo Thresher is remarkably potent and useful for its pts investment. Even if it's not attacking (Which it can really do well on a flank) just providing constant panic tokens in a bubble is great.

I think it's remarkable how much I enjoy the Thresher when we haven't even seen its unique upgrades, yet.

Edited by Tvayumat

Catalog the Reaver’s ability to flip the top morale card up has a surprisingly disproportionate effect on the game. I really recommend pairing him with bannerscamp. Being able to not piss away a Flee In Terror or a Betrayal on a severity one test is super helpful. I use bannerscamp a lot to add a panic token instead of my opponent’s archers causing severity one tests on himself.

26 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Catalog the Reaver’s ability to flip the top morale card up has a surprisingly disproportionate effect on the game. I really recommend pairing him with bannerscamp. Being able to not piss away a Flee In Terror or a Betrayal on a severity one test is super helpful. I use bannerscamp a lot to add a panic token instead of my opponent’s archers causing severity one tests on himself.

Yeah, Cacophony Reaver is the closest thing I've seen to an auto-include. Just knowing what the top card is makes the various morale abilities in an Uthuk list significantly more dangerous.

17 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Yeah, Cacophony Reaver is the closest thing I've seen to an auto-include. Just knowing what the top card is makes the various morale abilities in an Uthuk list significantly more dangerous.

Not to mention the joyous Lethal addition.