First time GM needs help running a Beginner game...

By DangerShine Designs, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

So, I have convinced at least 3 of my pals (some who have RPG experience, some who don’t) to give one of the beginner boxes a spin and am looking for some advice on a few things.

1. I have all four sets but have only played one (EotE), is there one that is generally acknowledged as the most fun, the most beginner friendly, or most “something else” that would help me decide which one to run? I have asked the players, which leads me to the next question.

2. The 3 of them are all leaning to a different flavor of the game and, assuming the beginner game goes well and we move to a campaign, how well does the game flow of there is a combination of Duty, Obligation and [cant recall the FaD mechanic] or will it be problematic?

3. I have played the game exactly once and not GM’d anything in 25 years - beyond reading and familiarizing myself with the beginner adventure, what advice would you guys give?

thanks in advance!

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, DangerShine Designs said:

So, I have convinced at least 3 of my pals (some who have RPG experience, some who don’t) to give one of the beginner boxes a spin and am looking for some advice on a few things.

1. I have all four sets but have only played one (EotE), is there one that is generally acknowledged as the most fun, the most beginner friendly, or most “something else” that would help me decide which one to run? I have asked the players, which leads me to the next question.

2. The 3 of them are all leaning to a different flavor of the game and, assuming the beginner game goes well and we move to a campaign, how well does the game flow of there is a combination of Duty, Obligation and [cant recall the FaD mechanic] or will it be problematic?

3. I have played the game exactly once and not GM’d anything in 25 years - beyond reading and familiarizing myself with the beginner adventure, what advice would you guys give?

thanks in advance!

This may be a too-late kind of thing, but if you did play how did it go, and do you have any questions still?

46 minutes ago, Archlyte said:

This may be a too-late kind of thing, but if you did play how did it go, and do you have any questions still?

It was delightful, so much so that the 4 people all immediately wanted to create their own chars and we are heading into it 4th session in two weeks. We did Escape from Mos Shuuta followed by Long Arm of the Hutt and our next session will be all about the PC’s taking over Teemo’s palace and trying to set themselves up as a new gang on Tatooine. Everyone is having a hoot.

Even more of a treat was that two of the guys are two super close friends of mine and one of them suggested playing a second campaign with just the 3 of us. We are going to and rotate GM duties every few sessions, so that I can also play, meaning I’m GM’ing an EotE campaign and about to play in AoR campaign, starting with the box set.

so stoked I can’t even tell you. Haven’t played an RPG in 30 years or so and now get to play multiple games on an almost weekly cadence.

thanks for asking!

10 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

It was delightful, so much so that the 4 people all immediately wanted to create their own chars and we are heading into it 4th session in two weeks. We did Escape from Mos Shuuta followed by Long Arm of the Hutt and our next session will be all about the PC’s taking over Teemo’s palace and trying to set themselves up as a new gang on Tatooine. Everyone is having a hoot.

Even more of a treat was that two of the guys are two super close friends of mine and one of them suggested playing a second campaign with just the 3 of us. We are going to and rotate GM duties every few sessions, so that I can also play, meaning I’m GM’ing an EotE campaign and about to play in AoR campaign, starting with the box set.

so stoked I can’t even tell you. Haven’t played an RPG in 30 years or so and now get to play multiple games on an almost weekly cadence.

thanks for asking!

That's wonderful! I am glad it worked out. I don't normally read this forum and I felt bad that no one had answered you. Welcome back to TableTop Role-Playing Games :) Was that 25 years of no games at all, or just not running games?

22 hours ago, Archlyte said:

That's wonderful! I am glad it worked out. I don't normally read this forum and I felt bad that no one had answered you. Welcome back to TableTop Role-Playing Games :) Was that 25 years of no games at all, or just not running games?

Actually, closer to 30 years, thinking about it - and yes, with the exception of 2 games of AD&D about 10 years ago with a pal and our two step-kids (neither of which were into it), i haven’t played since I was in high school.

am loving the fact that playing RPG’s is now a regular part of my life again :)

thanks for checking in!

5 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Actually, closer to 30 years, thinking about it - and yes, with the exception of 2 games of AD&D about 10 years ago with a pal and our two step-kids (neither of which were into it), i haven’t played since I was in high school.

am loving the fact that playing RPG’s is now a regular part of my life again :)

thanks for checking in!

Awesome! Hope to see you on the other forums Danger

19 hours ago, Archlyte said:

Awesome! Hope to see you on the other forums Danger

thank you! if, by the other forums you mean the EotE and GM forum, I'm already there - so many dumb questions, so little time ;)