First solo play through-questions

By Kamicosmos, in Fallout

Working my way through a solo play though as the Vault Dweller on the Commonwealth scenario.

Few questions:

One of the robots was a medic, and there was a Bottle icon on his token. I couldn't find it in the rules, so I used it as Medicine loot to heal myself a number of HP equal to his level. What is that symbol and what does it do?

Once Inactive monsters have activated and moved, do they always stay FaceUp AND do they continue to move towards the player, or only if they get activated again the next round? Do you flip them facedown again?

Also, the way the rules are written, it sounds like monsters only get one action, and they use that action to move closer to the player. (Unless they are in the space or adjacent with a ranged weapon, then they attack). Do they get more actions? Example if they move 1 space and now are in the same square/adjacent with range, do they get to attack?

When the Faction activates on an agenda card, do you move the token as if it were a monster? I was confused, playing the Commonwealth scenario, I wanted to side with the railroad, so I didn't want to engage any synths in combat.

Factions: well, there's a lot I don't understand about them yet. I'll need to read the rules more and maybe watch some videos.

Anyway the game seems very fun, and the combat seems to go by fast. I like how you roll one set of dice at once and it effects the player and the monster. Much faster than most games, and it simulates the back and forth of the video game pretty well. I also like the leveling, very novel way to simulate the fast at the start, slow grind later feel of most RPGs.

2 hours ago, Kamicosmos said:

One of the robots was a medic, and there was a Bottle icon on his token. I couldn't find it in the rules, so I used it as Medicine loot to heal myself a number of HP equal to his level. What is that symbol and what does it do?

Once Inactive monsters have activated and moved, do they always stay FaceUp AND do they continue to move towards the player, or only if they get activated again the next round? Do you flip them facedown again?

Also, the way the rules are written, it sounds like monsters only get one action, and they use that action to move closer to the player. (Unless they are in the space or adjacent with a ranged weapon, then they attack). Do they get more actions? Example if they move 1 space and now are in the same square/adjacent with range, do they get to attack?

When the Faction activates on an agenda card, do you move the token as if it were a monster? I was confused, playing the Commonwealth scenario, I wanted to side with the railroad, so I didn't want to engage any synths in combat.

No, the Protectron Medic doesn't have a bottle icon. That's actually two different icon; the loot symbol on the top and the shield on the bottom. It does look like a bottle though. And it still tries to kill you.

The only monsters that turn face down again are those with the Retreat special rule; mole rats, radscorpion, and a raider whose name I can't remember. Other than that, once face up they stay face up.

Monsters only get one action. They attack you if they can but mainly just march slowly towards you. I think that their primary purpose is to keep the players from staying in one spot too long.

The faction tokens are also monsters and move just like normal monsters. Their stats are printed on the card. I've scanned them all in and printed out regular monster tokens. The Synths that are represented by the faction tokens are the Gen-1s which aren't the same Synths that the Railroad is trying to save. Kill them without mercy.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

Cool, thanks for the help!

Haha I was looking for that icon too, not knowing tthat was two separate ones. Now i can’t see anything but loot and a shield.

I've noticed that the loot/shield icon has messed up a lot of people. Glad I heard about it before my first game.

On 03/12/2017 at 5:09 AM, Hedgehobbit said:

It does look like a bottle though.

Bottle, yeah. Definitely not a sex toy.

I thought it looked like a fire extinguisher, which would make sense for certain types of Protectrons. I'm shocked that confusion never came up during playtesting! All you'd have to do is swap the order of the icons...

Or place them next to each other?