Heightened Senses Talent Clarification

By Great Wyrm Lord, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I read both the Core Rule Book and the Errata on Heightened Senses Talent and would it make sense to say this talenet specifically effects an Perception or Perception related Skill Tests only?

Otherwise what use is this talent? If I have a Tech-Priest using Tech-Use to fight a tech device with his hands and eyes, does he get +20 total if he has the Heightened Senses for both Touch and Sight???

Hmm...

You use your senses to perceive the world. So an argument could be made that perception is an abstract measurement of the acuteness of your senses.

Based on that rationale, I would say that Heightened senses only apply to perception based tests, since any test that relies on your senses is going to be perception based.

Of course, I'm sure someone can provide an example of an exception. There always is.

The errata states that you do not get a bonus to BS tests with Heightened Senses (Sight). Based on that precedent I don't think you would get a bonus on something just because you can see it and have Heightened Senses (Sight).

However, touch could potentially apply to more and I might apply that bonus to some other tests on a subjective basis. For example, maybe that would help pick a lock. Tech use, however, has always seemed to me to be more about knowledge than dexterity and this is backed up by the fact it is an Intelligence skill and not a Perception skill. I say no.

I've always interpreted it as applying to all Peception Tests involving that sense, or Perception-based Skill Tests involving that sense ... with a few case by case exceptions (as ruled by the GM). As numb3rc pointed out, HS (Touch) might help you pick a lock. As another example, HS (Smell) might help you on a Chem-Use or Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) Test to identify a particular chemical agent, if it has a distinctive smell. The possibilities are many.

How about Search? I imagine Heightened Senses (Sight & Touch) would both be helpful here in different scenarios. Would you give a flat bonus for every search test, or try to differentiate based on the situation?

Nihilius said:

How about Search? I imagine Heightened Senses (Sight & Touch) would both be helpful here in different scenarios. Would you give a flat bonus for every search test, or try to differentiate based on the situation?

Probably best for situational. After all, scent and hearing may also play in to it if something is of a particularly distinct aroma, or knocking on walls to find hidden passages or compartments.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Usually if I call for the players to make a roll, I specify what senses (if necessary) are applicable to the test so people with various heightened senses (we have a few assassins) can just add what they need without me going over things specifically.

(Sorry for the necro of an old thread, but this one is closely related to the question I'm asking.)

I noticed the question regarding if heightened senses stack or not didn't really get answered. What if someone has multiple heightened senses and multiple can apply to a check, will their bonuses stack? Consider the following example:

There's a thug around a corner in an alleyway loading a weapon while smoking a lho-stick. An approaching acolyte with heightened senses (smell, sight, and sound) makes an Awareness test to notice signs of his presence. Would they all apply?

The shadow of the thug illuminated on the far wall of the alleyway by the light of the lho-stick, and noticing the wisps of smoke drifting out. (Heightened Sense: Sight)

The distinctive smell of the smoke emanating from around the corner (Heightened Sense: Smell)

The sound of the slugs entering the shotgun, and the sound of the thug periodically blowing out smoke. (Heightened Sense: Sound)

Would the acolyte make an Awareness test with a +30 modifier representing all the heightened senses, or is the bonus capped at +10?

Without being able to say why my answer would be to only give the full bonus once and for the second HS give half the bonus, no bonus for the third HS. So it would be +15.

I sent in a rules question and got the response that as long as the acolyte has at least one of the heightened senses, they will receive +10, but not any more than that - aka capped at +10. Cheers~