Twilight Imperium 3rd edition expansions.

By BroLuk, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

I know there is 1 expansion for TI3 (Shattered Imperium). But some older players can tell me how many expansions was in 1st edition of TI?? Coz I heard there was many of them. And 1 more question. Does anyone know that FFG planning create more expansions than 1 expansion for 3rd edition??

There were four expansions for the first edition and one expansion for the second edition. I haven't played either of those so I don't know much about them, but one place to look further at them is BGG. www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24

From what I understand from the descriptions on BGG and other sources, it seems like most of the components that were in the expansions for TI1 were already included in TI3 and SE. I understand that one expansion was actually a set of miniature spacecraft, which were included in TI3. Another expansion included the shock troops that were (re)introduced in SE.

Maybe someone who has actually played (or designed happy.gif ) TI1 and/or TI2 can tell me which options are still missing from TI3 (and SE)? And if these options might be portable to TI3.

I'm not familiar with TI1 at all, really. I'm a little familiar with TI2, having recently acquired it (THANKS MIKE!!)

The only things really missing from TI3 that was in TI2 that I can see:

- Events; TI2 had events that would occasionally pop up during the game. Many of these revolved around the L1Z1X invaders, who were not a playable race, though. I can't remember if the events were part of the base game or the expansion, though.

- Special Systems. The one I can think of is the "Gravity Rift" in TI2. I don't know how it would work in TI3, though, as movement in TI3 is very different from TI2, and the random exiting nature of the Rift would make it difficult to effectively convert to TI3. (Though I think I recall some custom tile to this effect)

Apart from those things, I can't think of much else that TI2 has that TI3 doesn't, apart from different mechanics. In fact, TI3 really has MORE than TI2 in many ways.