Stunned condition in the app

By The Mick, in Legends of the Alliance

6 hours ago, Vazzucious said:

I know we have been back and forth on this, and I don't want to be a jerk bringing it back up. My intentions are good and I appreciate your input on this. I Just want to make sure I and everyone else are understanding the rules correctly.

Totally agreed. I was worried about the same thing, but as long as "getting it right" is the point of the discussion I think we're okay, lol. Honestly, I think it's good discussion and has sparked some interesting thoughts.

I think we've reached an impasse, we're interpreting the same rules differently. All I really have left to offer is this: can a stunned Stormtrooper attack?

• Stunned gets removed at the end of a "Move instruction."
  • The Rulebook seems to treat each line as a single instruction, but never goes so far as to expressly state it.
    • Example "The activation window displays a list of instructions. Each figure in the group, one at a time, resolves the displayed instructions from top to bottom. Any instructions that the figure cannot resolve are skipped"
    • Example: "Many activation instructions include some form of movement."

Now, the rules as both you and I have interpreted (though different) would say that the Stormtrooper can attack. My way does because a figure can attack during its activation while stunned, and based how I've understood your way it also does because the Move instruction is done once we're past "Move X" and anything after that is a separate "instruction with the instruction," for lack of a better term. However, if both rules (the card and appendix 1) are in affect, one could argue the bullet points above (and did on page 1 of this thread) to say that the Stormtooper cannot attack.

EDIT: to be clear this is more meant as food for thought, not an argument.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
2 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

However, if both rules (the card and appendix 1) are in affect, one could argue the bullet points above (and did on page 1 of this thread) to say that the Stormtooper cannot attack.

This is where I believe we should separate terminology between an attack and an attack action. The stun effect does not let you perform an attack. If the attack action has a move x and then attack you can perform that attack action because it lets you move 0, remove the stun and finally attack. You would not however be able to perform an attack action that only performs an attack because the figure is stunned thus no game state change.

While this is how I read it the very simple explanation is the first action must immediately remove the Stun by performing a Move instruction then the rest plays normal. This worked solidly for all figures except the Nexu, which i think should just be remove Stun and then pounce. With IG88 it was more punishing on the team for him to remove the stun initially so he could attack so I chose that path.

I double checked my logic earlier and my Storm Troopers(most figures) are wrong. If it cant gain LOS it would skip that so it could move 6 instead of just 2.

4 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

The Rulebook seems to treat each line as a single instruction, but never goes so far as to expressly state it.

This is the part that destroys my logic if resolving the move instruction means resolving the attack as well before removing the stun. Hopefully we can get some clarification. Everyone seems to have played it just a little different and they all make sense.

Edited by Vazzucious
23 hours ago, Vazzucious said:

Hopefully we can get some clarification. Everyone seems to have played it just a little different and they all make sense.

Let's hope they will consider my suggested rules change. :D

"An Imperial figure with the Stunned condition spends its first action to discard it."

12 hours ago, dwaynedauzat said:

Let's hope they will consider my suggested rules change. :D

"An Imperial figure with the Stunned condition spends its first action to discard it."

This is easily the most obvious solution. My only concern is that they tried it in play testing and found it didn’t work for some reason.

It really does give me an appreciation for the effort that went in to the app. If something doesn’t work in playtesting you may have to make changes in the app in addition to altering the rules. It seems like a big step up from normal board game playtesting.

1 hour ago, Uninvited Guest said:

This is easily the most obvious solution. My only concern is that they tried it in play testing and found it didn’t work for some reason.

It really does give me an appreciation for the effort that went in to the app. If something doesn’t work in playtesting you may have to make changes in the app in addition to altering the rules. It seems like a big step up from normal board game playtesting.

It seems fairly obviously a bad idea to me as the most common leading AI action is "Move ... to Attack ..." and if that was the only action taken then squads of Stormtroopers and others would be rushing forward then stopping dead in front of the Rebels (after their attack) and blocking their comrades lines of fire.

The thing is that the concept of "AI Actions" in the app are not the same as "IP Actions" in the competitive game. The app is trying to emulate the competitive IP behaviour; not simulate it, therefore the typical "trooper two-step" action of go forward to attack-go back to hide/make range is realised in two different ways... a human IP takes a movement action to bank multiple MPs and then an attack action to bank an attack and applies them in any order he wants effectively. The AI just assumes this is what's normal and splits the overall activation into two wholly sequential steps, with the priority list giving it flexibilty in both the before and the after action.

But the AI actions are not intended to be complete activations by themselves and therefore only allowing one makes the AI much weaker... half a good move in any game is not at all a good move the same way that half an aeroplane would not let fly half as well as a whole one.

It seems someone on BGG asked FFG about stunned condition

Stl0369 wrote:
Rules Question:
Regarding the Legends of the Alliance app, how does "Stunned" work? Several reliable online sources have said that stunned figures can attack during their activation while still stunned, is this correct? "Stunned" is discarded after a move instruction. Does this include a move/attack instruction? Is "stunned" removed after the end of an instruction or immediately upon gaining and losing movement points? If an Imperial figure can attack while stunned, why not just say Imperial figures lose one action at the beginning of their turn to lose "stunned." It has almost the same affect and is Much simpler.

Todd Michlitsch wrote:
Yes, a Stunned Imperial figure can still attack under some circumstances. With the way that Imperial activations work in the app (notably the Move to Attack instruction costing a single “action") we altered the way the Stunned behaves for Imperial figures to make it harder for most of them to attack their preferred targets.

A few notes that I think might help:
The rules for Stunned on page 21 of the Legends of the Alliance digital rulebook completely replace the printed Stunned rules for Imperial figures.
The Stunned condition is discarded after successfully completing an instruction line.
If a figure attempts to “Move to Attack” it cannot gain movement points, but will still try to attack.
If the figure can attack, it does, then discards Stunned after finishing the instruction line.
If the figure cannot attack without any movement points, it skips the instruction line and remains Stunned.

We’ll keep an eye on these rules to see if we can make them more clear and intuitive in the digital rulebook.

Thanks for the question!

Notably, it is confirmed that the Stunned condition in LotA is a new rule that replace the one from the original base game. Also, it confirms that during a "Move to Attack", if the stunned figure does not have line of sight, it will skip the instruction without removing stunned. But if it has line of sight, it will gain 0 movement point, then attack, then remove the stunned condition.

So a stunned eweb will still be able to attack (if not instructed to move) while keeping the stunned condition. Only when all rebel figures will have moved out of his line of sight will he skip the attack instruction and try re positioning leading to the removal of the stunned condition.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

Perfect. This clears up everything.

Based on this the only one that i would have really messed up is the E-Web, but its something that probably never happened when playing. I played the second mission last night and after all that thought into the logic for IG88 it is a moot point because he discards all harmful conditions. :P

On 1/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, IanSolo_FFG said:

It seems someone on BGG asked FFG about stunned condition

Stl0369 wrote:
Rules Question:
Regarding the Legends of the Alliance app, how does "Stunned" work? Several reliable online sources have said that stunned figures can attack during their activation while still stunned, is this correct? "Stunned" is discarded after a move instruction. Does this include a move/attack instruction? Is "stunned" removed after the end of an instruction or immediately upon gaining and losing movement points? If an Imperial figure can attack while stunned, why not just say Imperial figures lose one action at the beginning of their turn to lose "stunned." It has almost the same affect and is Much simpler.

Todd Michlitsch wrote:
Yes, a Stunned Imperial figure can still attack under some circumstances. With the way that Imperial activations work in the app (notably the Move to Attack instruction costing a single “action") we altered the way the Stunned behaves for Imperial figures to make it harder for most of them to attack their preferred targets.

A few notes that I think might help:
The rules for Stunned on page 21 of the Legends of the Alliance digital rulebook completely replace the printed Stunned rules for Imperial figures.
The Stunned condition is discarded after successfully completing an instruction line.
If a figure attempts to “Move to Attack” it cannot gain movement points, but will still try to attack.
If the figure can attack, it does, then discards Stunned after finishing the instruction line.
If the figure cannot attack without any movement points, it skips the instruction line and remains Stunned.

We’ll keep an eye on these rules to see if we can make them more clear and intuitive in the digital rulebook.

Thanks for the question!

Notably, it is confirmed that the Stunned condition in LotA is a new rule that replace the one from the original base game. Also, it confirms that during a "Move to Attack", if the stunned figure does not have line of sight, it will skip the instruction without removing stunned. But if it has line of sight, it will gain 0 movement point, then attack, then remove the stunned condition.

So a stunned eweb will still be able to attack (if not instructed to move) while keeping the stunned condition. Only when all rebel figures will have moved out of his line of sight will he skip the attack instruction and try re positioning leading to the removal of the stunned condition.