Are Triggered quest objectives optional?

By Hedgehobbit, in Fallout

Some quests have a specific action that must be undertaken to complete their objective. For example, the opening quest for the commonwealth gives the players the option to head to Diamond City or kill a raider enemy suspected of being a synth. However, is it possible for you to not trigger the objective if you do happen to kill a raider enemy? Or is it mandatory?

I'm asking this because sometimes the enemies will attack you and you may not have a choice.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

It is mandatory. Once the conditions are met the quest is completed regardless of intent. Same thing happened to us last night. The 2 neighboring tiles were the Raider Camp and the Super Duper Mart.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:23 AM, Ziggy0134 said:

It is mandatory. Once the conditions are met the quest is completed regardless of intent. Same thing happened to us last night. The 2 neighboring tiles were the Raider Camp and the Super Duper Mart.

What would happen if a quest had two conditions, and you met them both at the same time?

13 hours ago, jconway2002 said:

What would happen if a quest had two conditions, and you met them both at the same time?

Is there a situation where this is possible?

Killing a humanoid in Diamond City? Then again maybe simply moving into DC would trigger that part of the quest...

10 hours ago, BrettP said:

Is there a situation where this is possible?

I ran into this when there was a combo of quest 098 and 019 on the table.

098 reads: each survivor and enemy within 2 spaces of the bomb is killed.

019 reads: 1# kill the last <star> on the map \ 2# kill the last <shield> on the map

So if the bomb from 098 wipes out all the Railroad and Synth tokens at the same time both quest conditions are met at the same time.

10 hours ago, Fnoffen said:

Killing a humanoid in Diamond City? Then again maybe simply moving into DC would trigger that part of the quest...

Moving into Diamond City does not trigger that part of the quest. According to the Learn to Play rule book, that symbol that kind of looks like a vault door is a quest-action objective, which requires a quest action to complete. So in this case you would have to use a quest action while in Diamond City to complete the objective.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, jconway2002 said:

019 reads: 1# kill the last <star> on the map \ 2# kill the last <shield> on the map

So if the bomb from 098 wipes out all the Railroad and Synth tokens at the same time both quest conditions are met at the same time.

That's a crazy scenario! I am sure they did not plan for this.

On 2017-12-13 at 6:11 PM, jconway2002 said:

If that would happen I think I'd let the active player choose which faction unit was closest to the bomb and thus would've died first (even if we're talking nanoseconds earlier).

On 12/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, jconway2002 said:

not to be nitpicky, but how did this happen?

because quest 19 is for the fallout 4 scenario

while quest 98 is for the fallout 3 scenario...

unless i’m missing something? i assumed that quest 98 was worded such, so that 9 times out of 10, “the bomb” would end up on the settlement of Megaton.

although, i guess if they intended it to be on Megaton, they would have said Megaton?

i guess the same quests can pop up in different scenarios?

I'd need to look up the card numbers again... but during the wife and I's last game two quests were staged. the text on one was Do some action and bring out a human and fight it. The second quest card had a option to kill a human. so killing the human for the first quest also triggered the second quest. I'll look these up in a bit and add the card numbers.

First card is 57 (Use an action at a ruins - Draw and fight a human) - 3xp - stage 59 and 101 - trash

Second card was 67 (Kill any Human) - agenda card - stage 68 - trash

Edited by Drimoor
clarification