What is the deal with Crab's and troops?

By shosuko, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

2 hours ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

It's from Bearers of Jade.

For something in that vein I reccomend searching for the Mirror, Mirror adventure. It was supposed to be the companion adventure to BoJ but AEG decided not to publish it. The writers decided to release it online, and, last I checked it is hosted at Kazenoshiro.

Thank you. I have nearly every book from 1E but wasn't aware of that.

On 01/12/2017 at 2:31 PM, Mig el Pig said:

In the old storyline the only Clan to support the Crab with actual troops was the Crane Clan. Don't know if this is still the case

That was never really the case, even taking into account variations along the timeline.

The Shinjo for a long time kept the Hiruma school, and with the Moto White Guard having the redeeming their honor against the Dark Moto thing going on there were Unicorn bound to have served at the Wall even before O-Ushi and Yasamura marrying.

The Yogo and the Agasha were also privileged allies of the Kuni, and with the Yogo guarding the Black Scrolls some of them are also bound to have served at the Wall

Finally, the Toritaka shared a similar outlook and skill set to the Hiruma and the Kuni, and also neighbour the Crab. It's unlikely that Genzo was an isolated case in serving the Crab.

As for the original question, the Crab are well aware of the advantages of a unified command structure and since they are fighting in their own lands against an enemy they are the experts on, they, understandably, would presume to keep overall command as to better deploy and supply the troops.

Now, presumably the Lion should also be aware of the advantages of unified command, so I'm assuming that they aren't actually that interested in helping the Crab, altough it can also be a matter of the Lion leadership demontrating an all too common and unfortunate conceit as the Right Hand of the Emperor to allow their vaunted troops to be under the amateurish and borish Crab.

Either way, in Old5R there was precedent for multi-clan armies to be lead by the Crab against th Shadowlands with Hantei Fujiwa himself defering his own personal command to Hida Ichido and fighting under him.

Both Lion and Scorpion believed Crab demanded too much. It's not just a Lion issue this time.