One Issue with the Game

By lmartin91, in Elder Sign

I do not like how there are duplicate items with the only difference being the name and picture are different.

Do the expansions remedy this? I think it's absurd.

This game is meant to be a much lighter game than EH, AH, or MoM. There really are only so many ways that you can say add the red/yellow die or lock a die. They tried to dress it by including different pictures and names, but only in namesake.

The expansions add different story elements, locations to play, and game play mechanics. However the items stay the same for the most part. There are some additional items added in with each expansion such as the Blessed and Cursed dice. The game is meant to be played quicker than most of the other Lovecraft FFG games. It makes a perfect introduction for people who are reluctant to dive into the bigger boxes.

13 hours ago, lmartin91 said:

I do not like how there are duplicate items with the only difference being the name and picture are different.

Do the expansions remedy this? I think it's absurd.

Items in the core set had no real thinking behind them: they were just a bunch of items granting dice. A much more clever idea would have been that each Unique Item was used either to add a red die, OR to trigger its specific effect. This would also have solved some dilution issues coming with the later expansions.

So: YES, expansions are a whole different story, BUT you need to start with Gates. Gates, and the three Omens will add specific items having a specific effect: in some cases, you'll still be able to add dice to the mix, BUT they'll also almost ever have an additional interesting effect, or they just have the effect. In the end, when you get the whole ES experience, you'll see these decks are overall properly balanced, with enough cards granting dice to boost your chances, and enough items granting special abilities to mantain the game fresh and fun

But remember: from Gates on, UF is still the usual "use item to get die" story