Created my first character! - First impressions of game

By Artaterxes, in Legacy of Dragonholt

Has anyone logged how often they've actually come across the problem of wanting to use a skill and it being 'locked' because the player has already activated?

A lot of people are (rightly) saying how bad this situation would be if it happened but I'm interested to know how often it does actually come up in game play.

Sorry Samickagulla, I have not, as I am playing solo. But if I have to comment, it probably comes up “a lot.”

The only way to avoid getting annoyed by it is through a thematic interpretation. VAYASAN is totally right from a strategic perspective - it makes no sense. I was, however, able to come up with a thematic interpretation that satisfies me and makes sense to me, but may not satisfy everyone.

It would have been helpful if a thematic interpretation was supplied with the rules, because you’re right, it does fall a bit flat otherwise. I like my own thematic interpretation enough that the issue no longer bugs me.

Finished Day 5. Completed my second quest successfully!

The more skills you know, the better the outcomes seem. I saved my XP until I needed it, and the rules say you can learn a skill at any time. So I waited until a decision asked me to use a skill, and I learned it right at that point. I still have 1 XP left.

2 hours ago, Artaterxes said:

The only way to avoid getting annoyed by it is through a thematic interpretation. VAYASAN is totally right from a strategic perspective - it makes no sense. I was, however, able to come up with a thematic interpretation that satisfies me and makes sense to me, but may not satisfy everyone.

Your thematic interpretation makes enough sense to me, as long as your example (Does anyone in the team have X skill go to entry XXX, if not go to entry YYY) does come up relatively often. Because if that is the case, I'll gladly just interpret it as a skill check that failed. Seems reasonable to me.

Me and my wife often read Lovecraft together (One reads out loud and the other one listens). This can't be worst than that. But heck, worst case scenario, I'll play the game alone by myself.

Well, I finished the campaign. I got the worst possible ending! I know the game says as long as you enjoy the journey that’s all that matters but ... yeah. It was a not a nice ending. :P

I played all of the quests except one. “To New Roads” and I think one of the other quests are mandatory. Another quest I think is optional (it might actually be mandatory but I can't quite remember) but advances the main plot, which I attempted and failed. The last three are major side quests. I passed one and failed another and never came across the third. The one I passed really helped me out.

I initially said you can’t beat the game. Let me rephrase. You can beat it, but you just don’t know what skills you need and when. The more skills and items you have the more likely you are to do better.

It’s pretty good. Enjoyed it, and the major “strategy” was saving my XP and buying skills at the critical moment, in addition to keeping my stamina up.

Edited by Artaterxes