About the expansion

By Nerdmeister, in Doom

I just bought the expansion for doom today and brought it home all psyched up.

I get home and start punching all the cardboard stuff (always a pleasure with the FFG standard). Then I begin intermingling it with the base game and I suddenly realize that the cards (invader deck, new marine cards etc) are just a little bit larger on all sides than the cards from the base deck (about 2mm I think). This really wasn´t something I expected and I might have just ignored it but seeing as some of the expansion cards are supposed to be mingled seamlesly into the core game, this could turn out to be a real hazzle.

Is this a common problem for all the expansion boxes or did I just get a bad batch?

If this is a known problem then how do people deal with it when mixing cards together that are diffently sized?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Yeah, all of the expansion cards from every box I've seen are a hair bigger than the originals. There's only two complications, the Dud replacement cards for the original Invader deck, and the new Marine cards intermixed with the original ones. The way we handle it is we leave the original Dud cards in the deck, and just use the new ones as a reference, and as for the marine cards, we "fan" them out for the players to draw, rather than shuffle/deal.

Also, you should probably start using the new Invader deck, it's a lot more balanced.

-shnar

Ok thanks for the reply, Ill try those suggestions out

Simply put them in sleeves :)

YoshiPL said:

Simply put them in sleeves :)

BRILLIANT! So simple and yet so smart. happy.gif

The best solutions do come in small packages. Allready grabbed some sleeves from my local vendor and works like a charm.

Thank you ^^

i deffenitely am a fan of sleeves but sleeves can get rather expensive depending on how many games you have i think i spent over 1000 $ in sleves for my games but dam well worth it.

I also suggest laminating any character card or whatever gets used alot to protect from wear and tear also been testing out a product i used in animation its a spray on dull varnish type substance ( fixative ) i used it to fix the led to the paper when i was working with pencil or chalk or charcoal ect and im testing it on Doom Board pieces and Descent Board Pieces so far seems to work well it does not add to the thinkness of the piece so it does not fit but rather gets sucked into the cardboard and once you let it dry coat it again and done.

I also have seen descent map pieces mad out of Dental plaster looks wiked and am considering testing it

Protect your games folks :)