The most FFG Star Wars fun I’ve had in a long time!

By Kyle Ren, in Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion

So, some background, I have played Star Wars X-Wing since Wave 1, I bought both Destiny and Rebellion when they came out, I have enough Armada ships to fight a decent-sized battle, I have every boxed set of Imperial Assault ever released, and I have run multiple Edge of the Empire campaigns, and I have enjoyed all of them, so I decided to fill the hole in my knowledge of FFG Star Wars games! The LCG looks pricey, and I don’t see people playing it, so I might stay away from that for a while.

Anyway, a friend of mine who also plays many of these games decided to teach me this game last night - and I was not disappointed! This is a fantastic little game, perfectly balanced and nuanced, with a good feel for Star Wars-style conflict. It certainly is much more than just Star Wars themed blackjack.

I am planning on buying this for my brother for Christmas, because I think it’ll be a great little gift and we can play the game whenever we want to play a Star Wars game but don’t have the time or space for one of the other games.

Every self-respecting FFG Star Wars fan should play this game. For $15, it’s hard to go wrong!

I agree! It's very underappreciated. And the fact that it's a reskin of an older game seems to make a lot of people shy away from it. But it really is a fun Star Wars game.

I'm impressed that you've played so many of their other games! That's quite a collection. That makes your endorsement even more valuable!

Regarding Star Wars LCG, I think you're missing out. Like you, I got into X-Wing during wave 1, but at that time, I was mostly looking forward to Star Wars LCG, which didn't release until that Christmas. I was not disappointed with it at all! It's a fantastic game! I get a lot of Star Wars excitement when I play it. Start with two cores; with all the other Star Wars games you own, I'm not sure you'll have time to play beyond that. But the core gives a very solid Original Trilogy feeling with a lot of the main characters: Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO, Admiral Ackbar, Mon Mothma, Darth Vader, Emperor Papatine, Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Motti, and Boba Fett. I have only the first two cycles of the game and find that my favorite way to play is just using the Core and Edge of Darkness cards. It's still a very fulfilling Star Wars experience.

Cool, thanks for your reply! I don’t know if any of my local game stores sell the LCG, but I might have to check it out some time!

Yeah, this is an easy one to pick up.

I've pimped mine out with card sleeves, a nice wooden box, a wooden initiative token, and some glass beads in place of the cardboard tokens.

On 19/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, Kieransi said:

Cool, thanks for your reply! I don’t know if any of my local game stores sell the LCG, but I might have to check it out some time!

Now that the game is officially discontinued after the last Force pack, it might be not so unlikely to see items drop in price (or arrive in the next holidays sale). I remember I was able to buy almost all Warhammer LCG packs for 2.99 a few years ago

59 minutes ago, Julia said:

Now that the game is officially discontinued after the last Force pack, it might be not so unlikely to see items drop in price (or arrive in the next holidays sale). I remember I was able to buy almost all Warhammer LCG packs for 2.99 a few years ago

Yeah, I got a bunch of 'em for 50% off a little while back! It's hard to find people who play though...

I didn't know it was officially discontinued now. Seems like there's still a need for a Star Wars LCG. I wonder if there's a new one in the works?!

True, it's hard to find opponents around once the game is dead. SW LCG comes with an interesting solo-variant. It's not official, but created by a user on BGG, but I've heard great things of how it works, so, possibly this could be an option.

No idea if they are doing a new LCG. I don't think it's happening considering Destiny killed the LCG, but that's just me guessing. I imagine time will tell!

I think it would be hard for a new Star Wars LCG to compete with Destiny ... unless they went back to the original co-op design. [giddy hopefulness!] But then, they've got LotR and Arkham Horror LCG, so it seems unlikely.