Latari List - MSU Style

By Totengraber, in Runewars List Building

This is the list I played last night versus a friend playing Waiqar where he tried out a 6 tray block of Death Knights. I got decimated pretty handily.

Aliana of Summersong x1 [33]
--Unique: Ambush Predator [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 36

Deepwood Archers x4 [30]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Music: Marching Starling [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 38

Deepwood Archers x4 [30]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]

Leonx Riders x3 [24]
--Training: Column Tactics [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 28

Leonx Riders x3 [24]
--Training: Column Tactics [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 28

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
--Unique: Vicious Roots [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 17

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
--Unique: Vicious Roots [3]

I tried using the Scions as blocking units for the Archers and the Leonx as my charging units. It didn't ultimately work out that way. I also intended to hold off with Aliana for a while so that Ambush Predator could do more damage.

Thoughts?

Elves bane is high armor, especially the deathknights since they ignore the initial mortal wound Alaina and the leonx can provide.

I would look to see if you can do a 3x2 of archers to get the threat high enough so each strike gets through the armor.

See about geting stuns in like from front line scion to cancel out the mortal wound on the dk dial will keep your leonx threat for slightly longer.

Don't forget the big picture, elves are fast. If you have to sacrifice the two scions so you can tie the dk up while you gut everything else you'll come out ahead. They are a lot of points that you can immobilize for half the game.

If you are looking for a real MSU experience I have had quite a lot of success with four 2x1 archers and two 2x1 Leonx Riders. Through in runes and rank discipline and away you go.

You need atleast 4 single scions to make the list work atleast that's what I have found.

2 single scions

2 single scions w/ vicious roots

1 Aliana ambush predator fortunes dice

1 Meagan arcane mastery

2x1 Lenox w/ rank discipline

2 2x1 archers

has been amazing for me.

Or remove Meagan and a small archer and add

2x2 archer Meagan upgrade and some other upgraded

Edited by Drakoniss
Content

I did 2 3x1 leonx, 2 2x1 archers, 4 scions, Aliana as well as 1 3x1 leonx, 2 2x2 archer with some tech, Aliana, maeghan last night, both were fun.

Fire Rune and Hunter's Guile will help with the archer's damage output.

I've been thinking of Latari MSU and forgoing upgrades for more units:

Harassment/flanking - my idea would be to use the Scions as stop gap and shoot and scoot with archers and flanking/threat constant madness with Leonx.

But I've spent more time painting than playing - so want to work this out this weekend...thoughts?

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]
--Training: Hunters Guile [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 21

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Leonx Riders x2 [18]
--Music: Metered March [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 20

Leonx Riders x2 [18]
----------Total Unit Cost: 18

Leonx Riders x2 [18]
----------Total Unit Cost: 18

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
----------Total Unit Cost: 14

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
----------Total Unit Cost: 14

Aliana of Summersong x1 [33]
--Unique: Ambush Predator [3]

My thoughts are archers really don't push much damage. I need to decide what to bring for tomorrow though. I was feeling pretty good about 3x1 column tactics leonx and Aliana loaded up (packleader+ ambush predator). Maegan was alright too, but archers just always seemed a bit meh, wasn't too chuffed about scions either.

3x1 Column Tactics Leonx are pretty stellar. They're fragile, but they will wreck things they get a flank in on, and they're maneuverable enough that you can learn to get the flank reliably.

3-4 2-threat Deepwood Archer units will fare well against big blocks of infantry, but will waste a lot of damage plinking off high armor Death Knights, Carrion Lancers, etc, because each individual attack (and application of fire runes) has a hard time hitting 3 reliably to actually deal a wound. Planning to take one or two 6-tray Deepwood units instead can be more well-rounded at the expense of maximum damage output.

Edited by kaffis