Minor Clans in Existence in LCG Lore

By Asako Taiyo, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

So, given that the current year is 1123, what current clans are in existence in the LCG at this point? Mainly I'm asking about my dear Wasp, which given the year and that Doji Satsume was, until recently, the Emerald Champion, means they could be around.

So far, we have:

Yoritomo and his band of pirates, if not in name at least in spirit the Mantis Clan

Survivors from the Boar

Any others? Around this time, we could have the Wasp, Mantis, Fox, Sparrow, Dragonfly, Centipede, Tortoise, Badger, Falcon, and potentially the Hare.

Edited by Asako Taiyo

The RPG beta core book states Mantis is one of the larger minor clans. No definite confirmation that this is corresponding to the LCG timeline, but it seems likely. The recent Unicorn fiction mentioned a minor clan, I want to say it was Falcon.

12 minutes ago, Asako Taiyo said:

Survivors from the Boar

Maybe not. They way the story is written also allows for the possibility that those Ronin weren't survivors.

I would say the story as written makes the ronin unaware there ever was a Boar clan. However Tsuko seems to know there was one, and it stands to reason there would potentially still be survivors in the new timeline just like there were in the old.

Going from foundation dates in the old lore-

The Badger (1013 years), Sparrow (723 years), Fox (1033 years), Tortoise (681), Dragonfly (419 years), Hare (373 years), Centipede (776 years), Falcon (289 years) and Wasp (14 years) should all be around in addition to the Mantis, assuming the Mantis are a clan this go-around.

The Boar are verified to have existed, but aren't a recognized clan anymore. The Snake are presumably in a similar boat.

The vote for the Mantis being added to the beta rpg let you think the Fox and the Sparrow are around.

As a side note, depending on the actual dates of previous modules, the Hare could be in that phase when they were 'mostly destroyed' by the Scorpion.

And I will confirm that the Falcon were mentioned in To the South.

14 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

As a side note, depending on the actual dates of previous modules, the Hare could be in that phase when they were 'mostly destroyed' by the Scorpion.

Since that went down in 1123 (the current year), I suppose we'll see.

A'course, it was tied to some hilarious retcon-y "Dajan Kolat" garbage... I'd kinda prefer a setting where the Hare and Scorpion can cooperate from time to time...

11 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I would say the story as written makes the ronin unaware there ever was a Boar clan. However Tsuko seems to know there was one, and it stands to reason there would potentially still be survivors in the new timeline just like there were in the old.

That's likely showing the uneducated ronin versus a well educated Lion kuge daimyo. The Lion, after all, are students of history.

You'll notice that the future Daigotsu was never kidnapped so the Empress survived and Yotsu never created his family in this version.

The story inside the "For Honor and Glory" pack confirms the Mantis, if any further confirmation was required.

6 hours ago, Crawell said:

The story inside the "For Honor and Glory" pack confirms the Mantis, if any further confirmation was required.

Don't suppose any of you fine folks from the future have a scan they'd be willing to share? :lol: