Endless Waiqar

By Lo-ki, in Runewars List Building

Hi,

this is my first attempt to build an army list with 200 points. I figured this is the way I want my undead army to be like - always coming back. However this is theorycrafting pre-buy, so I hope I can get some useful feedback here.

* What are the weak spots against other common Waiqar / Daquan / Latari armies?

* How can I improve the list without changing its character to much? I thought about a 3x2 Carrion Lancer with Wind Rune instead of the Death Knights, but it does not fit (or I don't know what to cut).

Edit: The idea is to keep the tray with Maro in the second rank and enlarge the infantry which is required at the moment. The Necromancer tray can hopefully hold its own for a while. Archers for the blight tokens and the Knights for the mobility.

Reanimates
Number of Trays: 6 35
Ankaur Maro 20
Raven-Standard Bearer 3
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 58

Reanimates
Number of Trays: 6 35
Necromancer 3
Blighted Vexillum Bearer 3
Marching Drummer 2
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 43

Reanimate Archers
Number of Trays: 2 18
Combat Ingenuity 6
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 24

Reanimate Archers
Number of Trays: 2 18
Combat Ingenuity 6
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 24

Death Knights
Number of Trays: 4 42
Reaping Blade 4
Moment of Inspiration 5
Total Cost of Unit and Upgrades = 51

Thanks for feedback!

Cheers

Edited by Lo-ki

A lot of people will tell you that Lingering Dead doesn't work well when a nearby unit with Ankaur Maro figure upgrade is adding trays. They may be right, because I've had very limited experience. But towards the end of the game, when your Reanimates are down to just 2 ranks, and take a massive hit, it's really great to preserve your threat for your counter attack. Also, Necromancer can put in more work with Lingering Dead. Here's my take on this idea, though it does differ from yours a bit.

Ardus Ix'Erebus [37]
-Ardus' Fury [1]
-Reaping Blade [4]
----------42 points

Reanimates 4 trays [26]
-Ankaur Maro [20]
-Raven Standard Bearer [3]
----------49 poinnts

Reanimates 6 trays [35]
-Necromancer [3]
-Lingering Dead [3]
-Blighted Vexillum Bearer [3]
-Front Line Carrion Lancer [5]
-Aggressive Cornicen [5]
----------55 points

Reanimate Archers 2 trays [18]
-Combat Ingenuity [6]
-Tempered Steel [3]
----------27 points

Reanimate Archers 2 trays [18]
-Combat Ingenuity [6]
-Tempered Steel [3]
----------27 points

TOTAL 200 points

There are two things I really like about this squad. First, Tempered Steel on the Reanimate Archers. Most of the time they dial in a shift rather than a march, and can rally to build up inspiration tokens as they position themselves for combat. Then they can use Tempered Steel to add a hit on 2 or 3 consecutive rounds. This is immensely helpful because they have no rerolls (although Ankaur Maro can easily fix that).

The second thing I like is that points that were dedicated to Ankaur's unit are now moved to the Reanimates (Host of Crows), giving them a lot more flexibility, including the Marching Cornicen, and the Front Line Carrion Lancer. Now, the Front Line Carrion Lancer doesn't do a whole lot, because Reanimates only have 1 surge on each of their dice. But if it does come up, it's going to be worth something because the enemy will almost always have blight on them. Plus, in my case, it allows me to add more trays to the Reanimates because I only own 10.

...okay, so our armies look really similar, but I just like having Tempered Steel on the archers. They have put in serious work for me.

As far as weaknesses , it's mostly ranged attacks that can snipe out figures. For that reason, I have toyed with the idea of Profane Banner Bearer on the Ankaur Maro unit. Obviously, you don't want Ankaur Maro sniped out, but it would take 3 accuracy results to do so, giving your main unit time to take on that sniping unit. The main reason for this is that the Necromancer gets taken out so early, that it never is able to put in much work. I suspect that is why he only costs 3 points. I really think this idea has legs...but of course some units can take out the Necromancer pretty handily in melee, which means you'd have to get the Ankaur Maro unit engaged, too. I suppose that if you have enough blight from your archers that they'll never roll dice, so it would be a non-issue -- in an ideal world, at least. Profane Banner Bearer is probably the wrong rabbit hole to pursue.