Concepts with death knights - idea collection

By Rhargar, in Runewars List Building

Hallo together,

with the new death knights Waiqar gets a lot of new possibilities in order to provide a good list.

So I'm trying with different lists, one replaced the lancers, another some reanimated or units of archers.

But I'm not satisfied with my list development, a good idea is missing to me.

So, gents, how are you use your knights in your lists.

I hope we can discuss about several good ideas of implementing the knights into a list concept.

Look at Latari lists, something similar. cavalry and range with a tar pit reanimate block. Or forgo much reanimates at all and go range/cavs with carrion blockers. Or run your normal list and just get a unit of DK in by getting rid of a couple CL or making your 9 block a 6 block, or something and use the DK to take out heroes.

I've started dropping reanimates all together, moving away from tarpits and regen based lists. 6 archers, 6 lancers and 6 knights works a treat. equip as you see fit but that fits into 200 points.

In the few games I've played with knights I tried 2 2x1 with rank discipline, these are very much are small unit hunters, our games have started to move towards MSU so its a fix for that meta change. I've also run a single 2x3 with death grasp artifact and column tactics. Hits hard and has high resilience.

4 minutes ago, Thornoo1 said:

I've started dropping reanimates all together, moving away from tarpits and regen based lists. 6 archers, 6 lancers and 6 knights works a treat. equip as you see fit but that fits into 200 points.

In the few games I've played with knights I tried 2 2x1 with rank discipline, these are very much are small unit hunters, our games have started to move towards MSU so its a fix for that meta change. I've also run a single 2x3 with death grasp artifact and column tactics. Hits hard and has high resilience.

Reanimates aren't just tarpit/regen, though.

Sure, they HAVE Regen standard, but that can be a red herring. They're also incredibly damaging standard with two red dice, and play very well into morale-based attacks with their panic modifier (and again, two red dice with a very good chance of rolling panic).

Deathknights are fun, and all, with their 3/1 profile, but they drop like flies when an opponent starts tossing out wounds instead of damage.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:12 AM, Tvayumat said:

Deathknights are fun, and all, with their 3/1 profile, but they drop like flies when an opponent starts tossing out wounds instead of damage.

As with everything in this game which has high armour. What they bring to the table that was missing from the Waiqar list is maneuverability through speed. Getting past block's flanks is critical to applying multiple charges at once so that an enemy block can be taken down in 1 or 2 turns rather than 3 or 4.

19 minutes ago, Thornoo1 said:

As with everything in this game which has high armour. What they bring to the table that was missing from the Waiqar list is maneuverability through speed. Getting past block's flanks is critical to applying multiple charges at once so that an enemy block can be taken down in 1 or 2 turns rather than 3 or 4.

It just annoys me that they have the "While defending remove one [mortal strike]" ability.

Clearly they are supposed to be a bit more durable than your average cavalry unit, but the ratio of mortal strikes in combat to just wounds in general is absurd.

So far, and this may change, I've found their speed a bit of a liability. They need to run wide and flank crossbowmen, but crossbowmen drop them so fast it's crazy, and IF you run them super fast, Reanimates can't even remotely keep up. I haven't found the sweet spot yet.