Was looking at picking up the game for my casual collection, which expansions are best for casual play?

By MandoBard, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Basically, I’ve been on and off building a collection of games to play with friends. Used to play some competitive stuff, but I’m not willing to invest(and destiny killed my blind pack tolerance) in competitive play. So this looked like it might be a fun choice to add, especially just from a casual angle. Again this isn’t really me bringing it to the store against someone else, this is me picking up a few of the box sets, throwing together a few decks and inviting friends over. Wondering which of the deluxe expansions add the most fun/iconic characters, as well as some fun scum and villainy options

Welcome to the game!

The quickest way to get a wide variety of cards is a copy of the core set and a copy of Edge of Darkness. That will give you a single copy of each of a ton of different cards. They wouldn't be competitive decks, but would be more than enough for casual play. After that, the easiest thing to do is check out the various other deluxe expansions (Between the Shadows for Jedi/Scum, Imperial Entanglements for Imperial/Smugglers, and Galactic Ambitions for Sith/Rebel).

Also, you should check out cardgamedb.com... most of the community uses those forums instead of these.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:14 PM, dbmeboy said:

Welcome to the game!

The quickest way to get a wide variety of cards is a copy of the core set and a copy of Edge of Darkness. That will give you a single copy of each of a ton of different cards. They wouldn't be competitive decks, but would be more than enough for casual play. After that, the easiest thing to do is check out the various other deluxe expansions (Between the Shadows for Jedi/Scum, Imperial Entanglements for Imperial/Smugglers, and Galactic Ambitions for Sith/Rebel).

Also, you should check out cardgamedb.com... most of the community uses those forums instead of these.

Thanks! Just thought I’d try since I was already here. Don’t feel like making another forum account. But yeah I’m agreeing on edge of darkness being the must grab. I’m guessing the small packs are like IA where you need the deluxe set of the cycle?

No, there is no connection at all between deluxes and small packs. That only applies to the co-op LCGs. You can buy whatever, and you'll be able to use all of it.

4 minutes ago, TheNameWasTaken said:

No, there is no connection at all between deluxes and small packs. That only applies to the co-op LCGs. You can buy whatever, and you'll be able to use all of it.

Oh, that’s a nice change, say I saw a few had rebels cartoon characters, any particular ones that add in some fun characters(perhaps rebels and the classic bounty hunters in particular?)

If you want a specific character, you can go to http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-card-spoilers and search by that character's name, and you'll see which pack(-s) they are in. As for the characters you asked about:

Rebels:
Kanan is in the Galactic Ambitions deluxe
Hera and Ezra are in Power of the Force
Sabine is in Ancient Rivals
Zeb and Kallus are in A Wretched Hive
Chopper is in Technological Terror

Bounty hunters:
Boba Fett is in the core, the Between the Shadows deluxe and Attack Run
Zuckuss and 4-LOM are in Lure of the Dark Side and the Galactic Ambitions deluxe
The 4 versions of IG-88 (IG-88, IG-88B, IG-88C and IG-88D) are in It Binds All Things, Solo's Command, Technological Terror and Desperate Circumstances
Bossk is in the Edge of Darkness deluxe
Dengar is in Escape from Hoth and Ancient Rivals

On 11/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, MandoBard said:

Thanks! Just thought I’d try since I was already here. Don’t feel like making another forum account. But yeah I’m agreeing on edge of darkness being the must grab. I’m guessing the small packs are like IA where you need the deluxe set of the cycle?

No problem with trying here, I totally understand. Just thought I'd give you the heads up since relatively few players check these forums. That said, the few of us who do check over here try to be helpful, so hopefully you're in good hands still. :)

Feel free to ask any questions you have whether "what to buy" type questions or rules/strategy questions.

Once again thanks, ooo there’s two versions of dash, and ones in balance of the force. I take it that’s mainly one to pick up if you have multiple people you’ve talked into playing it? Also I take it the deluxe boxes are a better deal per card than the cycle expansions?

that and i don’t mind being patient, I don’t have a big gaming budget at a moment, so I put the core and edge on Christmas wishlist XD

Balance of the Force is a unique expansion in that it primarily contains challenge decks, made to be played 1v3 (or 1v2). It also contains a set of cards for each affiliation that are focused on multiplayer games (ie 2v2). The cards are usable in normal 1v1 games, but sometimes less efficient that they would be otherwise.

I think in a pure $/card comparison, the regular expansions and deluxe sets are pretty similar. The deluxe sets mainly have the advantage of focus. For instance, if you want to make a better Sith deck, it's much easier to buy the deluxe Galactic Ambitions than hunt through and buy several individual force packs.