18/00 Waiqar back on track

By Thornoo1, in Runewars List Building

I named this list 18/00 in deference to older D&D were the elusive top range of Str for characters, the perfect triple 6's dice roll. I fell onto this list when I could not find my second dial for the deathknights I bought last week.

As we are all starting to realise Runewars is very much won and lost in the movement phase of the game. Waiqar really lacked this, particularly in blocks of reanimates. I had been struggling to win about 40% of my games with Waiqar, compared to the 90%+ wins I've had with MSU Latari, who dominate the movement aspect of the game.

I played 2 games against Daqan last night, spear star plus dispatch runner, crossbows and 2x small oathsworns. With the below list getting around his spear was much easier, he caught the Lancers but they can take so much punishment that tied him up for the game, whilst the other two blocks hunted the smaller units for the win in both games. I could probably drop the windrunes on the lancers, they are a blunt instrument after all but I reckon across a number of games it would become useful.

199pts

Carrion Lancers x6 [68]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Training: Simultaneous Orders [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 76

Reanimate Archers x6 [45]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Heraldry: Raven Tabards [2]
--Training: Combat Ingenuity [6]
----------Total Unit Cost: 59

Death Knights x6 [55]
-- Artifact: Obcasium's Gauntlet [5]

-- Training: Column Tactics [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 64

Edited by Thornoo1

Raven Tabards on the archers?

You have the pts to include Raven-Standard Bearer, which would both make them the fastest ranged attacker on the board short of heroes (and able to wind rune afterward), able to fire and scoot before a lot of charges on turns you have initiative, AND add a 4/1 model to one tray to keep those pts alive longer.

Edited by Tvayumat

Bugger, yes its was supposed to be Raven-Standard Bearer and that's how I played it. Int 4 shooting was very cool. Especially as there was often a move associated with it. In the first game a set of oathsworn chased them right across the table and never caught them. A first for reanimate archers.

A bit pricey for my taste. But these are the lists I dream of running one day. I'm not really sure why the lancer exp was more expensive then all other expansions. The deathknights are great models but are still $10 cheaper.

41 minutes ago, TheWiseGuy said:

A bit pricey for my taste. But these are the lists I dream of running one day. I'm not really sure why the lancer exp was more expensive then all other expansions. The deathknights are great models but are still $10 cheaper.

FFG expansion prices are determined by cardboard as much as plastic. The siege units come with more upgrade cards, so FFG charges more for them. It's the same with X-Wing.

1 minute ago, Budgernaut said:

FFG expansion prices are determined by cardboard as much as plastic. The siege units come with more upgrade cards, so FFG charges more for them. It's the same with X-Wing.

Fair enough. I suppose you do get 3 more cards with the lancers expansion.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:58 AM, Thornoo1 said:

Bugger, yes its was supposed to be Raven-Standard Bearer and that's how I played it. Int 4 shooting was very cool. Especially as there was often a move associated with it. In the first game a set of oathsworn chased them right across the table and never caught them. A first for reanimate archers.

It's a good feeling, as long as you have a few runes to work with.

My kingdom for some rune manipulation.

I will have to try this, I love the idea of only having to fiddle with three dials.
Though with my crappy tactical thinking, I might have to take Close Quarters Targeting on the Archers just in case :D

How do you think this would fare against Latari with all them blue accuracies?

1 hour ago, Polda said:

I will have to try this, I love the idea of only having to fiddle with three dials.
Though with my crappy tactical thinking, I might have to take Close Quarters Targeting on the Archers just in case :D

How do you think this would fare against Latari with all them blue accuracies?

Deepwood Archers still fire at five. Do they have any way to lower that initiative?

As long as the Reanimate Archers had the runes, they could hit-and-run the Latari.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:28 AM, TheWiseGuy said:

Fair enough. I suppose you do get 3 more cards with the lancers expansion.

at $3.33 per card upgrade.

This has now become my favourite Waiqar build. It's great to only have to set three command tools :P

I've tried it with Master Crafted Weapons + Combat Ingenuity on the Worms and taking Close Quarters Targeting instead of Combat Ingenuity on the Archers.

As so far I mostly run into Weaponmaster, Shield Wall, Golem Spearstars + splash of Kari, cav and archers/crossbows. Holding this unit in check is where the 6 Worms with MCW+CI shine.
The Death Knights are the best. I love the flexibility they get from the +1 Charge on either the low ini moves, or that late ini 9 move. You can wait out a lot of other units and almost always get a late charge in if you know they'll be moving towards you.