Heavy Crossbowmen Painting

By Glucose98, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I'm wondering if people are priming these guys with one of their arms off? The right arm really occludes the body on this one, I'm thinking it may be MUCH easier to paint by gluing that arm on after all the block painting is done. Thoughts? Any tips for how to 'secure' small arms so you can run a paint can over them and get coverage?

My daqan armour is nearly black, so in there will be nearly black anyway. It is so shadowed, it will be nearly black regardless of your scheme. Plan to paint them assembled, with 24 rank and file to do, can't be bothered to worry about parts you literally can't see.

MAY do the prime stage and spray basecoat stage unassembled, but I doubt it, I'll evaluate when I get there/when my magnets finally show up.

Just now, Darthain said:

My daqan armour is nearly black, so in there will be nearly black anyway. It is so shadowed, it will be nearly black regardless of your scheme. Plan to paint them assembled, with 24 rank and file to do, can't be bothered to worry about parts you literally can't see.

MAY do the prime stage and spray basecoat stage unassembled, but I doubt it, I'll evaluate when I get there/when my magnets finally show up.

Which magnets are you going with? I've had a lot of luck with the 2.5x2.5mm ones (1/10" by 1/10")

Just now, Glucose98 said:

Which magnets are you going with? I've had a lot of luck with the 2.5x2.5mm ones (1/10" by 1/10")

I've been using 2*4mm, I drill out a bit if the base, and have jewelry bezels I put in the trays. My first 200 are gone, my second 500 never showed up... So I have a reship, and 500 more I bought 2 weeks before that... Yeah potentially 1500 magnets with my name floating around, lifetime supply? Unlikely.

Ah yes, the old "Should I paint my bolters separately so I can paint the chest eagle?" question.

If the arm covers the torso, you can't see the torso. If you can't see it, why are you painting it? Slop some black primer in there and move on.

I'll be priming and painting them in pieces when I get to them.

I was lazy and fully glued them.

3 hours ago, darkjawa103 said:

I'll be priming and painting them in pieces when I get to them.

Keener :D

I've decided I'm going to prime the xbowmen unglued, but assembled (they hold together really well). That way I can see where the prime lands and realize which parts are in 'shade' and don't need super careful attention. It'll be much easier to paint with the right arm & crossbow out of the way though. Experiments!

On 11/4/2017 at 4:27 PM, Tvayumat said:

Ah yes, the old "Should I paint my bolters separately so I can paint the chest eagle?" question.

If the arm covers the torso, you can't see the torso. If you can't see it, why are you painting it? Slop some black primer in there and move on.

They are glued and primed, doing color scheme now.

I have an internal rule: "Don't paint what you don't see".

In other words, turn the mini before I come at it with a brush, don't assume you know what's there.

But it also applies to this - If I can't see it, don't paint it.

1 minute ago, Adun42 said:

They are glued and primed, doing color scheme now.

I have an internal rule: "Don't paint what you don't see".

In other words, turn the mini before I come at it with a brush, don't assume you know what's there.

But it also applies to this - If I can't see it, don't paint it.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the areas you can't see, I'm not trying to be a completionist. It's just a ton easier to angle your brush in there if stuff isn't in the way. I think it *may* be faster. I'll find out I guess.