Use of Old Cards that are newly incarnated in the Core Set

By Sinis, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

For Organized Play, are we allowed to use old Westeros copies of Eddard Stark as the new core set one? I guess what I'm asking is this: can I put my Westeros Eddard Stark and pretend he has the Deadly and Stalwart keywords?

No. FFG has said that any difference on the card makes it a different card altogether. So WES-Eddard is not considered the same card as Core-Eddard. You cannot pretend that your WES-Eddard has Deadly, Stalwart and the Noble crest.

That's the official stance for sanctioned events. Of course, WES-Eddard makes a great proxy for Core-Eddard if your TO allows proxies.

Does this extend to exact reprints, like Temple of the Graces, or cards with clarifying changes, like Maester Cressen?

The ruing says that any text or icon change is considered a different card. So while it doesn't apply to exact reprints like Temple of the Graces, it does apply to cards without "substantial" text changes like Maester Cressen.

Er... really? If I want to play 3 x A Lannister Pays His Debts I have to buy three base sets ?

Ows. My old Westeros ones are feeling burned.

Well, you know, the difference between the Core-ALPHD and the WES-ALPHD is pretty substantial....

But hey, I'm just telling you what FFG said; any difference at all means that it is a totally new card, not a reprint. If it's not a reprint, the "old" card with the same name is not legal.

ktom said:

Well, you know, the difference between the Core-ALPHD and the WES-ALPHD is pretty substantial....

But hey, I'm just telling you what FFG said; any difference at all means that it is a totally new card, not a reprint. If it's not a reprint, the "old" card with the same name is not legal.

But I do not understand something. Why did not errated ALPHD? In this case, I cannot play my old copy...With an errata, I could do it.

This is not a problem I really have or feel....But there's people who does.

I hopo TOs have the intelligence to consider them legal, for a lot of reasons.

DB_Cooper said:

But I do not understand something. Why did not errated ALPHD? In this case, I cannot play my old copy...With an errata, I could do it.

I hopo TOs have the intelligence to consider them legal, for a lot of reasons.

I would tend to agree, but here's the potential problem. Personally, I think the Core-ALPHD is supposed to be an exact reprint with the limit and someone was "asleep at the wheel" in editing (kind of like how Lannisport Brothel is supposed to be unique). So as a TO, I'd consider the old versions legal as written. Others will disagree and say that the limit was intentionally removed, letting the old versions be played as proxies for the most current version.

Now we have people playing differently in different areas. Not a big deal until people get together at a Regional or to Gencon....

You're right, Ktom.

And the only thing that's reallt needed, right now, is an FFG post about the whole matter.

BTW, in my meta, I'd let people play with old copies (but I have to admit that is simple with 4-6 players metas, as my own is) gui%C3%B1o.gif

ktom said:

this means, in the legacy format as supported by FFG (highlander) you can play both versions of ALPHD. after all, they aer considered different cards. weird ...

thorondor said:

ktom said:

this means, in the legacy format as supported by FFG (highlander) you can play both versions of ALPHD. after all, they aer considered different cards. weird ...

I donĀ“t think so. These cards still have the same name. And with the exception of plots you are only allowed to play one card with the same name in your deck in a highlander format.

oh, its one card per card title (which makes sense). forgot about that ...

Yeah - I'm not allowing the older versions in my events - and plenty of NY players have been around for a long time.

The biggest potential problem i see is having a new player get confused when he sees an older crad on the table, and you use the deadly keyword that he may have forgotten about when you attack. Teh fact that it isn;t printed on the card just opens up possible problems - so i allow only the Core set versions.

While using old Ned would be not only noticable, but annoying since the keywords and crest are not seen.

I doubt that folks would notice someone playing an ITE ALPHD, since more than likely the "Limit 1 per challenge" was forgotten. Though I would hope FFG could clarifty that.

Though it's sort of moot, since there are enough 1x cards in the core set you want 3x of anyhow. I'd say 3-4 people buy 1 core each and trade around.