Rise of the Empire Questions...

By Bantha, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Hello Everybody,

last week, me and a friend had our first games with the expansion and it was great! But sadly we only got an english copy, so some things are unclear...

1. Building the mission deck.

It says you either use the ones with darth vader icon on the left plus the ones with leader icon or the ones without darth vader plus the ones without leader icon. Right? So the empire may only build interdictors, death stars, SSds if they choose to play the old ones`? Same with Superlaser online or single reactor ignition? Because the new empire missions come without the Darth Vader icon.

We played it this way!

2. Tactic Cards

We played like this:

You only play them if you have a leader in this system.

Before rolling dice each play chooses secretly a tactic card from his pile matching the theater. They are played simoultaneously and resolved one after the other, beginning with the attacking player. Units that are destroyed through tactics card damage are removed and dont roll dice and if they are destroyed the damage cannot be removed through lightsabers.

Questions

A. The AT-AT Supercard, 4 damage to 2 AT-ST are ok?

B. Why does one card read that this destroyed triangle unit does not roll dice? Every triangle unit only has one hitpoint so its destroyed and removed and does not roll dice.

Then the two cards go to each matching discard pile. Next round of combat each player chooses one of his remaining tactic cards....

3. Action Cards

Secret Facility: If you recruit Director Krennic in your first turn and you dont have any interesting probecards, you are just unlucky, so may not wait to use him for another probecard you are hoping to draw later?

Lord Vader's Orders: Objective deck is the imperial pile of projects? Or the rebel objective deck? Very confusing...but I guess the imperial projects?

4. Missions

Prepare for Battle: Which pile is the tactic deck? Makes no sense for me... The only benefit is the return of your discard pile! This, of course, can be huge!

Generel opinion: We are amazed, its very thematic and it gives you alot of new tactics and strategies. I would say it gives 2 new games, so you can spend a lot of time playing it. Its really worth it! The new Rebel objectives are fun to play and to achieve! Love the Hut-card! At our first game the cinematic combat was a little bit confusing but practice is all;-) But I have to say, that it really favors the defender! We had some fights that would have been really easy with the old system, for example 1 AT-AT, 1 AT-ST, 2 Trooper against 1 Shieldgenerator, 1 Golan, 2 Trooper. Imperial Loss... We also love the new missions for each side. But as a downside, you may not use all of your imperial units, because of your mission deck! I hate green dice :D ! One of the reasons I stopped playing xwing... :D

Thanks for helping

3 hours ago, Bantha said:

1. Building the mission deck.

It says you either use the ones with darth vader icon on the left plus the ones with leader icon or the ones without darth vader plus the ones without leader icon. Right? So the empire may only build interdictors, death stars, SSds if they choose to play the old ones`? Same with Superlaser online or single reactor ignition? Because the new empire missions come without the Darth Vader icon.

We played it this way!

No, if you are playing the expansion, the Empire gets all the new project cards (and new SSD cards), regardless of which mission deck they choose. They also get one copy of "Subversion".

Although project cards are treated like any other mission card once drawn, they start up in a different pile from the mission deck.

2. Tactic Cards

We played like this:

You only play them if you have a leader in this system.

Before rolling dice each play chooses secretly a tactic card from his pile matching the theater. They are played simoultaneously and resolved one after the other, beginning with the attacking player. Units that are destroyed through tactics card damage are removed and dont roll dice and if they are destroyed the damage cannot be removed through lightsabers.

No, that's wrong. You always play an advanced tactic card before each round of combat, it doesn't matter if you have a leader or not.

"Destroyed" has a very specific meaning on the cards. There are only three cards that actually do it (Stormtrooper, Rebel Trooper, and AT-AT). Other cards that do some kind of damage will still allow the target unit to roll their dice before the damage is resolved.

For example, if the "Tow Cables" card is played on an AT-AT and does it 4 damage, the AT-AT still gets to roll all its dice; if it is very lucky, you might even roll 2 lightsabers which will be enough to save it.

Questions

A. The AT-AT Supercard, 4 damage to 2 AT-ST are ok?

No, one unit only. So preferably use it on an AT-AT if you can.

B. Why does one card read that this destroyed triangle unit does not roll dice? Every triangle unit only has one hitpoint so its destroyed and removed and does not roll dice.

Then the two cards go to each matching discard pile. Next round of combat each player chooses one of his remaining tactic cards....

No, damage is only resolved at the end of a combat round, so units which have damage assigned to the during the round (from tactics cards and dice) will still roll dice (and might be saved if you roll lightsabers). The three "Destroy" cards will actually remove their target before they can take part in the round, although they can trigger their own cards if applicable.

3. Action Cards

Secret Facility: If you recruit Director Krennic in your first turn and you dont have any interesting probecards, you are just unlucky, so may not wait to use him for another probecard you are hoping to draw later?

If the card says "immediate", then no, you can't save it until you have better probe cards to choose from. Bad luck for drawing it early...

Lord Vader's Orders: Objective deck is the imperial pile of projects? Or the rebel objective deck? Very confusing...but I guess the imperial projects?

No, it's the Rebel objective deck. The card lets you mess with the Rebel's plans a bit.

4. Missions

Prepare for Battle: Which pile is the tactic deck? Makes no sense for me... The only benefit is the return of your discard pile! This, of course, can be huge!

If you are playing with the new combat rules in the expansion, use the last sentence of the card, which allows you to pick up all your discarded Advanced Tactics Cards from either pile.

The mission is designed to work with either set of combat rules, which is why there are two different instructions on it.

At our first game the cinematic combat was a little bit confusing but practice is all;-) But I have to say, that it really favors the defender! We had some fights that would have been really easy with the old system, for example 1 AT-AT, 1 AT-ST, 2 Trooper against 1 Shieldgenerator, 1 Golan, 2 Trooper. Imperial Loss... We also love the new missions for each side.

Yes, it is much harder for the attacker in these rules, but it's deliberate...

But as a downside, you may not use all of your imperial units, because of your mission deck! I hate green dice :D ! One of the reasons I stopped playing xwing... :D

You can build any of the units and aren't restricted by your choice of mission deck, see above. That said, the new units are generally less powerful than the old ones, unless you have maxed out on red or black dice.

Edited by Patriarch