Eh. I was hoping for something more.

By Jackwraith, in Battles of Westeros

I mean, we certainly know very little about it at the moment, but for the last big 'reveal' moment on the main page, I was hoping for something other than a BattleLore game that happens to be done under a license that hasn't really been worked in any significant fashion for almost 5 years (still waiting on the Song of Ice and Fire adventure game that had a prototype flitting around a couple years ago...) A straight wargame, which means a limited audience; only 2-player, which means even more limited opportunities to play; and $80 for a non-coffin-box game. Think I'll pass...

i was really pulling for the Gears of War game.

I already own M44, Battlelore, and battle cry.

I don't want the same game with a different theme. I personally think FFG has dropped the ball on this. I am Sure it will have buyers with the cult following the series has. Personally would have preferred a whole new game system, maybe something similar to a small skirmish like star wars miniatures, but different mechanics. Include some nice detailed miniatures (like tannhauser)

So when is Gears of War coming FFG?

I was hoping for Warhammer Quest, but I think this has potential. I just wish they didn't tie it into BattleLore because it seems kinda mean to tease the BL fans with the same game in a new wrapping.

I was dissapointed at first. I didn't expect any specific game like some people did but this just failed to impress me. The main reason was : I don't like Battlelore. The only problem: I do like Martin's world.

However, I read someone reporting that this isn't Battlelore, it's more like a Battlelore variant with enough rule changes to make it significantly different. For example, the board is not separated in 3 zones, a thing that I always disliked in Battlelore. Each army has his own command deck. There's a little more strategic depth with flanking, disengaging etc. There's no victory points. Morale and so on...

Now I am starting to get interested. I am hoping for some depth here, not another game in the oh-miniatures-I-can-play-with-my-wife category...

The release says there will be victory points.

With HBO releasing a series based on the books, this would appear to be a great time for a new product for this license.

Well, at least it's not really Battle Lore, and that it is not compatible with the original Battle Lore. As an original game it may be great. I look forward to the previews.

I don't know about passing on this one. I get way more chances to play 2 player games than I do multi-player games.

I was actually hoping the black-box was a new version of Dungeonquest. Rumor has it that it will get re-released sometime in the next 2 years.

This looks pretty cool, and it makes me wonder if FFG will be the publisher for the upcoming Conan miniatures/skirmish game. It is rumored to be hitting Europe this year.

Jakews said:

I don't know about passing on this one. I get way more chances to play 2 player games than I do multi-player games.

And I'm in just the opposite situation. (shrug)

I was originally disapointed, due to being heavily invested in M'44 and not wanting more of the same, however after reading the Q&A from Christian, I'm getting excited. I'm already a big fan of A Game of Thones. I think i'm going to try and sell off my M'44 stuff and replace it with this.

Consider yourself lucky. I find it hard to find players.

Trump said:

Jakews said:

And I'm in just the opposite situation. (shrug)

My friends and I are all huge Song of Ice and Fire fans, but between all of us we don't own any games that are strickly 2 player and I don't see this changing that. I truly hope its eventually expanded into a 4+ player game, at which time it will immediately be picked up by one of us.

Same thing with the Horus Heresey game, we are big Warhammer fans, but if we are going to play a 2 player game we'll actually play Warhammer :)

Monkeyclops said:

I truly hope its eventually expanded into a 4+ player game, at which time it will immediately be picked up by one of us.

Knowing full well that BoW diverges(greatly?) from the C&C dynamics of BattleLore, there is a very fun version of BattleLore in its Reluctant Allies rules. I am unfamiliar with the Westeros world created by GRR Martin, but if there are any sort of alliances, some sort of port of the Reluctant Allies rules to BoW should be possible. Essentially pits two marginally to fully cooperating players on one side of the board against two other players on the other side. I find the additional interplay very fun.