T-47 scale

By devin.pike.1989, in Star Wars: Legion

I thought I would move this to a seperate topic since we are discussing it in a couple different threads. I keep seeing people say that the T-47 is not to scale. However having just watched Empire strikes back with my boys a few days ago, I noticed just how tiny they really are. Here are some ref pics.

Snowspeedersize0.jpg~original

167a37ee388fd3407880aad196965287--model-

snowspeeder_ef2f9334.jpeg?region=0,337,2

I think they are in scale or a hair smaller. I'm not torn up about it. Armada has sliding scale and it works fine. If anything, a Legion sliding scale means we can get an AT-AT.

FB_IMG_1509018597896.jpg.f26a57ebe9c334f

Here is the Essen Pic. Take into account that the troopers are in the foreground and the speeder is in the background and I really think it is the correct scale. Compare the trooper head to the pilot head in the other pics.

I actually don't think that a full scale AT-AT is out of the realm of possibility.

Based on how tall the troopers are, it seems that Legion is roughly 1/48 scale. I just bought a 1/48 scale Snowspeeder from Bandai. I'm going to build it and then likely use it for terrain in a sort of hangar bay thing I'm working on. My fear is that the T-47 is going to be noticeably smaller.

At 1:48 scale, the given 5.3m length would come to 4.35 inches. So it may well be correct.

I think part of the issue is that we want to think that the Airspeeder is about the same size as a TIE Fighter or X-Wing, when in reality it's a pretty small ship. I went back to ESB and yeah... they're pretty darned small.

I'm still at a loss how the Airspeeder can be on a 6' table when it needs to move at least .... 50mph, assuming it's not using some anti-grav tech instead of air foils for lift? Wouldn't it fly off the board after it's first move? Or, are we hand-waving that reality?

While they are supposed to be pretty small, they were big enough to house a pilot and a gunner. From what I can tell the speeder is scaled down somewhat for legion. If we assume the base is the same as the walker its about 20% bigger than it appears to be due to being in the background, which still makes it too small to house 2 of the troopers.

6 minutes ago, Thraug said:

I'm still at a loss how the Airspeeder can be on a 6' table when it needs to move at least .... 50mph, assuming it's not using some anti-grav tech instead of air foils for lift? Wouldn't it fly off the board after it's first move? Or, are we hand-waving that reality?

Starwars follows different laws of physics, reality and anything else that might distract from the rule of cool.

Ranges are typically strongly compressed in tabletop miniatures games. Also, speeders are repulsorlift vehicles and can hover.

28 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

While they are supposed to be pretty small, they were big enough to house a pilot and a gunner. From what I can tell the speeder is scaled down somewhat for legion. If we assume the base is the same as the walker its about 20% bigger than it appears to be due to being in the background, which still makes it too small to house 2 of the troopers.

Check that line diagram I posted. I think it's big enough when you think that they aren't wearing backpacks or caring weapons in the cockpit. Also they sit in a reclined position.

I suppose so, it just visually seems too small but I'm probably wrong. The gunner must get some warm feet from the engine by the way, no wonder you only see them using them on Hoth

54 minutes ago, Thraug said:

The tight circles they fly around an AT-AT's legs shows that they can at least corner tight enough to orbit a target.

I thought they looked small too until I saw the latest photos. They only look small because 1) they are, and 2) the lack of modeled pilots make it hard to reference.

I think it may be a touch small. However I'm far more interested in blowing it up with the AT-AT.

Sweet plastic crack. I got to get me some!

They're looking good. Going to get 1 of each and double up on the troopers.

If they don't get the scale right or say they are using some B'S sliding scale they will loose big time. Epic X-wing is half as popular as it could be for this very reason

2 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

If they don't get the scale right or say they are using some B'S sliding scale they will loose big time. Epic X-wing is half as popular as it could be for this very reason

Maybe, maybe not. Star Wars has huge scale issues and oversized vehicles. A lot of vehicles could be scaled down and actually look better and more appropriately sized...

This game has had the living blank kicked out of it and it is yet to be available beyond pre-order and or via demos at a few select locations.

I am holding hope the gaming crowd in Austin goes the route of positive with this; keeps it casual and, as always in Austin, keeps it weird.

Just really surprised at the level of frustration. Over a game.

Am I too excited and optimistic or is this mostly correct?

So the scale is off. A tiny bit. it probably means less plastic, which in theory would mean a lower cost. So FFG is wrong for the small scale and, meanwhile, are hammered for the price of models, which were made available yesterday and folks feel are too high. I thought the price for the speeder was fair but the walker little aggressive but I get it.

DPike, thanks for the infographics and photos

37 minutes ago, Dash Two said:

This game has had the living blank kicked out of it and it is yet to be available beyond pre-order and or via demos at a few select locations.

I am holding hope the gaming crowd in Austin goes the route of positive with this; keeps it casual and, as always in Austin, keeps it weird.

Just really surprised at the level of frustration. Over a game.

Am I too excited and optimistic or is this mostly correct?

So the scale is off. A tiny bit. it probably means less plastic, which in theory would mean a lower cost. So FFG is wrong for the small scale and, meanwhile, are hammered for the price of models, which were made available yesterday and folks feel are too high. I thought the price for the speeder was fair but the walker little aggressive but I get it.

DPike, thanks for the infographics and photos

I agree, the scale may be a bit off on larger vehicles...I know I can look past that. If you're a real stickler, then just tell yourself its a variant of the vehicle/different model of the same vehicle and its a bit smaller. Maybe these airspeeders are an early model that only housed one pilot. Who know (and who cares).....

This game looks AWESOME. I love the minis, love the mechanisms, love the stories we will tell with this game.

Frankly, I'm always ok with flying vehiceles being slightly smaller scale anyway....when you're on the ground and looking at a plane (even a one close by) they appear smaller. Or chalk it up to them moving so fast you can't see the real size of it. Tell yourself whatever you need - because giving up on this game because some minis aren't PERFECT, is a shame and you're depriving yourself of possibly the best Star Wars game out there in its history.

Any everyone is chirping at the price....guys, its MSRP.....who pays that anymore? If you're really upset about a $50 walker, buy it online at one of many online retailers and get it for $40. Buy a couple more items and free shipping too. If you're a die hard brick and mortar supporter, then buy the less expensive packs ($25 and under) from them, and the more expensive ones online.

This is a game about space wizards, swords made from light, and sentient aliens and robots. We can all take it.

Edited by asgelb
4 hours ago, Lord Tareq said:

Starwars follows different laws of physics, reality and anything else that might distract from the rule of cool.

Especially with weapon ranges.... rifles (and laser rifles for that matter) should also be able to shoot clear across the table.

In WH40k, those future weapons shoot 12-72 inches...which would be WAY out of scale of what a real human sized rifle could fire, even from WWII era.

1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

Maybe, maybe not. Star Wars has huge scale issues and oversized vehicles. A lot of vehicles could be scaled down and actually look better and more appropriately sized...

Not to mention contradictory sources everywhere.

2 hours ago, svelok said:

The tight circles they fly around an AT-AT's legs shows that they can at least corner tight enough to orbit a target.

That gives it at least a 25-35m turning circle, or about half a 6x3 board. About right if one

Why would the snowspeeder be "a bit out of scale" or "a touch out of scale" when FFG could make them precisely in scale? It would be extremely stupid of FFG to make them 95% in scale with the troopers or similar -- its not that much plastic and we are a bunch of really easily offended nerds here so it would be suicidal of them to mess with the scales if they really doesn't need to (AT-AT?). So give FFG the benefit of the doubt and assume it is precisely in scale.

Would love to see it next to the Bandai 1:48 model for comparison in size and detail. I have one of the Bandai models and liked the range of decals it came with along with the option to build it with or without landing skids down and with maneuvering flaps up or down.