Squizing the franchise?

By bikinilord, in Age of Conan

Do you really think that a Conan game should be an army one? Don't you wanna take Conan and kill armies with him all-alone?

Personally I love the detail that exists about the various cultures and Army's that exists around Conan, so am looking foward to this.

bikinilord said:

Do you really think that a Conan game should be an army one? Don't you wanna take Conan and kill armies with him all-alone?

Isn't this the same thing you're saying over in this thread?

Same thing, right here.

But, since you're asking: my answer is " NO ." That sounds like some horrible WoW-esque, munchkin-y, power-gaming nightmare , frankly.

I don't recall Conan killing armies....sure he can kill dozens, but not armieS.

YMMV however.

Besides, game's already developed. You can't influence it at this stage. If enough peeps cry out for a broken one-man-army Conan action adventure game...I'm sure there will be a designer/developer up for the task, but that kinda game is better done in a PC/console milieu than a boardgame.

Check out God of War series...it may whet your appetite.

If you like pain (inflicting on yourself kind, not others), you can also try to solo Runebound with the Mild One...quite a different xperience from the one-man-army Conan archetype. gran_risa.gif

Heck, anyone who read Howard's original Conan stories know that Conan was just all too human. He was an exceptional person in his own time but still all too human. He wasn't dumb or stupid, he ran away when the odds weren't in his favor, he got paralyzed with fear more than once, and he wore armor most of the time. Conan isn't a superman, he's just a man that made his name known through steel.

Yeah, I'm a Conan RPG GM. gran_risa.gif

Conan is a RPG! That's my opinion! I will not buy a tactical Conan game llorando.gif

That's cool. But from what I've seen of the components and in my one read-through of the rulebook, I have no doubt that such a decision will be your loss.

I guess that controlling Conan (in a game "conan" vs. other armies) would make the games less funny for the others players.

bikinilord said:

Conan is a RPG! That's my opinion! I will not buy a tactical Conan game llorando.gif

Mind you, the name of the game is Age of Conan, not Conan The Adventurer or something.

it's like that (somewhat lame) MMORPG, where you don't actually get to play as our favourite barbarian.

I'm pretty excited about the game, as with everything that's even remotely connected to Howard.

bikinilord said:

This isn't just some cash- in on Conan. It's a great new direction for the Barbarian. Finally the universe will be appreciated as more than just following the titular hero. People will see the savagery of his world, the cunning of its intrigue, the epic scales of its battles. If you want the RPG, play the one that already exists. Play the MMO. Read the comic. Making another one of those is cashing in. FFG is trying something new, something fresh, something that respects what has come before and takes it to a new level at the same time.

And I, for one, admire it.

Me, I'm glad the world of Conan is getting some exposure. Wish they had hired Vincent Darlage for fleshing out this game's theme.

Ito_ogami said:

I guess that controlling Conan (in a game "conan" vs. other armies) would make the games less funny for the others players.

fnord3125 said:

Ito_ogami said:

Actually, I think it could be pretty interesting if there were a game in which a few players (at least two) were playing full nations with armies, and one player was playing a single, powerful hero like Conan. They would basically be playing different games that happen to intersect. The players of the nations would have totally different goals and win conditions than the hero player. I can see it being pretty interesting, though it would probably be a ***** to design and test to proper balance.

That one character would have to have some pretty interesting options every turn to compete with the appeal of all the cool things an army would be able to do. I think War of the Ring is about as close to that concept as I'd want to go.

As for the main topic...I'm not sure what "squizing" is, but I'm sure this game isn't doing it to the franchise.

Conan, and Conan's world, isn't just Conan. There's a very rich backdrop behind the character that all too often gets overlooked. I'm glad the designers desided to finally give the kingdoms of Hyboria some recognition. Besides, we have 10,000,000,000 other games to give us an RPG-ish flavor, and I don't think we need another one with Conan slapped on it. Glad to see they went for something a little more unique. Nor is Conan a superhero (contrary to what Marvel and a certain movie starring the Govenator may say about that). I recommend the thread starter reads Robert E. Howards stories or even the more recent comics by Dark Horse.

Well I've been a Robert E. Howard fan for over 30 years and, having just bought the game yesterday, I'm overjoyed at the direction FFG has taken with it's design. Anybody that says that the game isn't in keeping with the Conan setting clearly hasn't read the original books - this game is about the world in which Conan lived not Conan himself. That said I do like the mechanic FFG have used to allow Conan to influence the outcome of the game.

I have to agree that the direction the developers went with this game (upon reading the rules and various other sources during the games development and now release) that this is exactly the way they should have went. Conan is a drifter and is very much like the elements himself being able to sway the course of the game from one turn to the next. It also goes more into the history and depth of the various empires found within the Conan mythos/franchise. This is much more interesting that just a random hack n slash where there is fights over who gets to play Conan. I look forward to playing the game as it has been presented.

As an old Conan fan myself, I've been looking forward to this game for twenty years or so, ever since SPI went bankrupt just before publishing their own (very similar) version of a Conan boardgame (you can see the ads for it in old copies of Moves and S&T magazines--and I saw the finished product at SPI the week before they closed their doors). Having played it now twice, I am most certainly not disappointed. Instead, I'm delighted to find that it captures the spirit of the books and of the "age of Conan" very well. But to my happy surprise, it also captured the spirit of the Barbarian himself and the impact he had on that world. Playing the role of a ruler, you quickly come to appreciate the power and presence of this man to affect all your plans for good and ill. If anything, this design makes Conan more real and present than might otherwise have been the case had one player been Conan. Excellent job all around.

David Spangler is spot on with his assessment of the game. Having Conan as an unpredictable variable that can have a massive impact on the game just helps add to his aura. This game represents his impact on the Hyborian Age better than I could have hoped.