Don't bother with the "Scale" rules

By Wussypillow, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

First off, SO excited they are bringing this back, even though I technically don't need it (have a copy of the original Rulebook, plus a PDF of the Sourcebook).

Second, if they either release any further supplements (which seems unlikely but particularly the Rules Companion), I would say: Ignore the "Scale" rules (i.e. Capital, Fighter, Walker, Speeder, etc.). They're among the least-elegant additions to the rules. Your PCs will *never* command a capital ship (or, at least, if they do, don't try to map out the precise roll-by-roll rules for it). If they need to attack a Star Destroyer as part of a bunch of fighters, have them just make some extra Starship Piloting checks to avoid screening fire, then a moderate Gunnery check to, say, take out the shield generator. *That* is a better way to work out fighter-vs-capital combat than is trying to cram them into the same rules environment.

I've shot at plenty of Jawas in a Silhouette 4 vehicle to make those rules reasonable. It was actually enough of a headache trying to hit those little ***** to convince me to invest in a light flak cannon. Because blast damage is one **** of a drug.

Edited by Degenerate Mind

I've always liked the scale rules, but whatever works for your individual game table.

7 hours ago, LadySkywalker said:

I've always liked the scale rules, but whatever works for your individual game table.

Same,

scale rules work....the only way a pilot with an A-wing can take out a SD....had so many fun battles using the scale rules

On 10/23/2017 at 9:57 AM, Wussypillow said:

Your PCs will *never* command a capital ship (or, at least, if they do, don't try to map out the precise roll-by-roll rules for it).

I find this a strange notion since the most successful Star Wars campaign I ever ran started with the players in command of a capital ship. I had run a decent campaign of the old Star Trek RPG so it was easy for me to make the transition.

But seeing how the low end of capital ships is much more fleshed out now, with ships such as the Gozanti, C-ROC, and Imp Raider, it's easier than ever to run a cap ship centric Star Wars campaign.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:57 AM, Wussypillow said:

First off, SO excited they are bringing this back, even though I technically don't need it (have a copy of the original Rulebook, plus a PDF of the Sourcebook).

Second, if they either release any further supplements (which seems unlikely but particularly the Rules Companion), I would say: Ignore the "Scale" rules (i.e. Capital, Fighter, Walker, Speeder, etc.). They're among the least-elegant additions to the rules. Your PCs will *never* command a capital ship (or, at least, if they do, don't try to map out the precise roll-by-roll rules for it). If they need to attack a Star Destroyer as part of a bunch of fighters, have them just make some extra Starship Piloting checks to avoid screening fire, then a moderate Gunnery check to, say, take out the shield generator. *That* is a better way to work out fighter-vs-capital combat than is trying to cram them into the same rules environment.

The scale rules were actually very elegant and functional. They work FAR better than the personal/planetary scale division seen in the FFG lines. However, if memory serves, the "good" scale rules don't show up in 1e and you instead get the crappy die cap rules.

Oh, and I've had two groups of PCs that commanded capital ships, both in games following Pirates & Privateers. One group had a corvette and another a frigate. It was a lot of fun.

1E's scale rules are quite simple:

Person firing at ship: Double your roll to hit. Weapons of damage 1d to 5d do 1d; 6D+ do 2d.
Ship firing at person: Double the dodge roll. Double the damage roll.

Not a few of us used an intermediate scale for vehicles before the scaling rules in Rules Companion... (I found these originally on a local BBS):

Person firing at Vehicle: Double Person's to-hit roll, double vehicle's soak roll
Vehicle firing at Person: Double person's dodge roll, double vehicle's damage roll

Edited by AK_Aramis

Yeah, the 1E Scale rules are good. Some don't realize that 1E has scale rules because they are hidden in the text. Some are in the core rulebook, but some others are in the Sourcebook.