It's really hard to find things in the rules

By Scorpienne, in Proofreading

I regret I can't give you every solid example. The layout of this document apparently blows my mind, and the minds of our playtest group.

We seriously had five people, with eight college degrees between us flipping pages like fools last night trying to find all the info we needed for a small skirmish between four goblins and four samurai.

We kept saying "I know the rule is X, but now I can't find it anywhere..."

For instance, we KNOW you dump strife at the end of scenes and after an outburst, but we had real trouble finding that. "At the end of the scene, the character removes strife until their strife is equal to half their composure," occurs under the individual outbursts (where it's repeated multiple times) and NOT in the section under outbursts in general. On the good side, I fully approve of this particular subject/verb disagreement and the use of the singular they so that we have a gender neutral pronoun.

For instance, we know that focus and vigilance are important for initiative in skirmishes, but we couldn't find it! We searched all over the section on skirmishes p. 163 for it. That page just mentions the TN1 Tactics check. The focus/vigilance thing is on p.153, but it should also be on p 163 as well.

There are a lot of other examples, and my life is too short to detail them all. Suffice to say, the layout and ordering, as a whole, needs some serious work.

p

Agreed.

Getting all the opportunities together, for example - there are 2-3 tables of opportunities applying to each situation in addition to any opportunities specific to an action or technique unique to a player.

e.g. General opportunities + Social skills opportunities + mass battle opportunities for a command check when leading a cohort.

Grouping approaches by Ring rather than skill because the point is to look at what the player is describing doing and matching the ring to suit.

e.g. "I'm going to fix the broken [whatever it is]" "fix....hmm....Restore. Earth."

I think 'healing rates' of wounds & strife should probably be listed on the character sheet - they're player-specific, after all.

Healing rates are straight up water per X; scene for strife, day for wound.