Learning new Psychic Powers

By eltom13, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I was wondering from a fluff-perspective how sanctioned psykers learn new powers. Do these powers just manifest suddenly and from that point on are part of their repertoire? Do the psykers learn them from ancient tomes like Wizards in fantasy settings? Or do they have to seek out a mentor at the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to train with them? How long does it take to learn a new power? Is there anything on that in any of the official books?

I just kinda hand-wave it as their mind is expanding and growing more attuned to the Warp; which allows them to just sorta 'feel out' new ways to use that connection.

If it's a sanctioned psyker then one assumes da emprah sends him new powers at his divine will as the psyker proves himself worthy.. At least that would be the official line.

Edited by Techpriest support
On 10/19/2017 at 3:18 PM, Vorzakk said:

I just kinda hand-wave it as their mind is expanding and growing more attuned to the Warp; which allows them to just sorta 'feel out' new ways to use that connection.

That's how I also do it currently. But it feels like the two psykers in my warband get better way to fast. Maybe I should just hand out less XP.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:38 PM, Techpriest support said:

If it's a sanctioned psyker then one assumes da emprah sends him new powers at his divine will as the psyker proves himself worthy.. At least that would be the official line.

That's of course a nice in-game explanation for the hand-waving.

So, thanks for your replies, guys.

I am still wondering if there is something concrete about this in some of the official publications?

glad my idea helped you!