Lets talk about Soaring Slice

By Shavis il, in Rules Questions

Soaring Slice
Description : Jerking their arm in a sudden motion, the bushi hurls their
weapon at the enemy, hoping to take the foe off-guard or create a gap in
their defenses.
Activation : As an Attack action using one readied weapon in a onehanded
grip, you may make a TN 2 Martial Arts check with the appropriate
skill for the weapon targeting one character at range 2–3.
Effects: You hurl your weapon at the target. It travels a number of range
bands toward the target equal to the maximum range of the technique.
If you succeed, you deal physical damage to the target equal to the
weapon’s base damage plus your bonus successes.

So.....this technique allows you to throw a weapon? Can you not also throw a weapon under the normal rules of Martial Arts [ranged], which covers "thrown" and "projectile" weapons. The Shosuro Infiltrator gets this as their starting kata, but do not have access to Martial Arts [Ranged] at time of character creation, but wouldn't Ranged be a more appropriate skill to use in this regard vs. Melee?

Im just not seeing any benefit to having this technique, given the fact that if a character wished to throw a weapon most GM's would just give an increased TN or just allow it based on the situation.

Am I missing something here?

I believe the advantage of this is that you use the skill for the weapon with the attack. If you throw a Katana or Knife you use Martial Arts Melee, not Ranged. I assume throwing a weapon normally would use Ranged.

Also - as you say - you might consider giving a higher TN to throw a weapon, while this technique gives only a TN 2 check. Basically this technique is being good at throwing weapons.

Edited by shosuko

It allows using melee weapons at range. You cannot throw a katana because it's range 1. the technique allows you to throw it at ranges 2-3.
Wakizashi is 0-1, dagger 0 range. Again, the talent grants range 2 instead.

Also, Tanto and Aiguchi are not usually balanced for throwing.

Yeah, I think both of your opinions coincide with my original thoughts on the technique. I'm just not entirely sure i would spend XP on gaining the technique, vs. just putting points into equivalent Melee skills. You could bump up a skill to Rank 2 with 4 XP and get an additional die to roll at any time using the skill, or buy this technique for 3 XP which would only be applicable on the off chance you wish to throw a primary weapon. I cant imagine too many instances that the technique would come into play.

5 hours ago, Shavis il said:

Yeah, I think both of your opinions coincide with my original thoughts on the technique. I'm just not entirely sure i would spend XP on gaining the technique, vs. just putting points into equivalent Melee skills. You could bump up a skill to Rank 2 with 4 XP and get an additional die to roll at any time using the skill, or buy this technique for 3 XP which would only be applicable on the off chance you wish to throw a primary weapon. I cant imagine too many instances that the technique would come into play.

Certainly if you don't want to throw a weapon don't buy the Throwing Your Weapon kata. It's taught in the Shosuro Infiltrator school because I believe throwing a knife into someone unaware is a great way to assassinate someone.