Range bands, how do they work

By Kakita Natsumi, in Rules Questions

... I never want to feel I need or may be better served by using the math or diagrams within this thread, just to move characters around. Ever.

If I'm using a map in my head, I want it to be as simple as establishing that part of the tea house, or the street outside, is 1 "range".

22 hours ago, Kakita Natsumi said:

Yeah no.

That's not simple.

I play samurai drama, not trigonometry ^^

It's the level of math taught in my home district in grade 5. As in 10 year olds can do it.

If you're simply too lazy, well, there's no cure for that that I know of.

15 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

It's the level of math taught in my home district in grade 5. As in 10 year olds can do it.

If you're simply too lazy, well, there's no cure for that that I know of.

The math is easy enough, but if you’re using a coordinate system you might as well use a map.

Generally, i simply use dtt... Distance to target... from group start... and unless they specifically go off That line, No y-axis at all. So Party @ O Enemy @ 50m Decrement Enemy as they close, increment party as they close. When one goes off, they (only) get a non-zero Y-coordinate.

usually, however, I use a map. often hastily sketched on grids. (l use mini-Meeples & 1:150 square grid.)

On 10/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, AK_Aramis said:

Generally, i simply use dtt... Distance to target... from group start... and unless they specifically go off That line, No y-axis at all. So Party @ O Enemy @ 50m Decrement Enemy as they close, increment party as they close. When one goes off, they (only) get a non-zero Y-coordinate.

usually, however, I use a map. often hastily sketched on grids. (l use mini-Meeples & 1:150 square grid.)

The problem I’d have is that the party (and thus also their opponents) often don’t stay all that close together. Particularly when there’s interesting terrain. Archers look for high ground, heavy hitting melee bushi move up and try to create a choke point (particularly the tanky ones), debuffers like the Bayushi tend to move around a lot, shugenja find a position from where they can use their spells on the enemy without catching the party in the target area, yojimbo look for someone to hit while still guarding their charge. If I’m tracking 10+ positions by their coordinates it’s easier to use a map and a fistful of tokens, so I get something ready every time combat starts.