Basing advice

By Doodlebug, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I have never done basing before so want some advice. I have used a Vallejo basing paste and glued on some static grass but I want to know whether I should spray a varnish over the grass? What do you guys do?

You end up handling the trays so much in this game I am worried the grass will wear off quickly if I don’t spray over it. I will also add some little bushes. Should I spray over them or add them after varnish? I was thinking after.

I never varnish static grass and other foliage and have no problem with it coming off . I don't use much though, just little tufts and pieces.

I do not seal bases at all.

The couple of trays that I have painted and based I have sprayed with a clear coat because, like you, I was worried it would come off after handlingthe trays a bunch

My friend used sand, and it falls off a lot. I decided on Stirland Battlemire, and I'm also losing chunks. I even brushed watered dow PVA glue over all the basing. Shrug. I guess it just comes with the territory.

I painted my trays before basing for adhesion and depth. Works great so far. Not a ton of handling yet though

Here's my basing approach, its cheap and nasty but works a treat.

1. Get soil out of the garden, as dry as possible as you want the little 'rocks' that come with dry soil (yes sand is fine but I prefer the extra texture of soil)
  2. Before spray undercoating brush a goodly amount of wood glue on base, dont be shy lay it on pretty thick it will dry clear anyway.
  3. Dip base into bowl of soil
  4. Spray undercoat model, I use mat black spray from local hardware store
  5. After painting the model start with dark brown paint and work to light brown (let dry in between), just drag your brush over it no need to to be really thorough, use less paint on the secod two browns as you are wanting just to catch the tops of the soil
  6. Paint the rim of the base to get rid of blemishes
  7. Using wood glue again I usually put on 3 thick blobs of glue on the base
  8. Dip in first choice of flock, knock excess flock off
  9. Let dry for 5 minutes or so
  10. Repeat steps 7 & 8
  11. Put on fancy stuff like flowers or grass clumps

FONx1cQ.jpg?1

LY4XrHe.jpg

Thanks everyone!