How many monsters do I actually need in my box?

By Elrodthealbino, in Mansions of Madness

So I need a little advice from the guys here who have played it a lot. I have all of the add ons and what not and I made it all fit into the box with a little help from some other ffg boxes placed inside so the box barely closes.

It is heavy and a little awkward (although surprisingly well organized). Can I thin the herd on these monsters a bit? Am I actually going to see six Cultists, two Shuggoths and two Star Spawn in one scenario? Do critters like Nightgaunts usually show up in pairs or are they typically one-offs? Yes I realize it is random, but I would love to be able to cut it in half without proxying.

My player situation is usually three, possibly four players, any scenario goes, but as it stands we have only done the first two. Before anyone says "skip the minis, just use the chits" I have one player who dislikes Arkham Horror LCG (which I feel is the better game) specifically because there are no minis.

Hey! Yeah I feel your pain, I have Beyond the threshold and recurring nightmares and it feels a bit overwhelming.

I could absolutely be wrong here, so bear that in mind and that I'm speaking from memory here. I have to say 4 players is the highest count I've had and I don't remember a scenario with two Star Spawns. Also, there are monsters that have not once made it into play in any episodes I played, for example I'm yet to see the Cthonians in a game. Also, you can use a big mini like the Star Spawn even if the game asks for Soggoth, but just use the info and values from the right token.

I think it all depends on the number of players, but yeah with 4 I think you will rarely use more than 4 cultists, more than one mob (that I feel appears in just one or two episodes), and more than one "big boss".

Again, I could be wrong this is all from memory!

Different exp. here, though I really feel like we have to say it depends heavily
on the scenario you play
. We've already seen multiple Star Spawns and the other
big bads quite often.

I believe there are 2 monsters from Suppressed Memories / Recurring Nightmares
that we haven't seen at all for now, three who only made a few appearances and
one monster (type) has only shown up in exactly one scenario so far.

We recently added Beyond the Threshold, but we have yet to see the new monster
after 4 games played with the expansion.

The most Cultists we've seen in one scenario (at the same time) would have been
5, if we hadn't killed some of them rather quickly.

Still, I feel like the variance of the app is doing a good job randomizing
most of the time; mind that some monsters will always appear in certain scenarios.

[Almost forgot to add: We usually play with 3-6 players.]

Edited by Lorinor

I keep all the components other than monsters in the main box, there's plenty of space. This way I can just take that when I go somewhere with the game, and not worry about having to take multiple boxes. Currently also included are the epic monsters for when they show up, they look better than cardboard tokens. The small monsters are all in the expansion box.

I assume that if they included x copies of a monster that there are situations you will see them all. In a 5 player game that went badly, we saw both star spawn.

Of course this storage solution makes it easy to carry everything you need in one place. At least for the base game, and then there are boxes for the expansions if you need more space. I use these myself and it makes organization a breeze.

$50+ is a bunch of money to spend on an insert to a game I don't play all of the time. Although I appreciate the heads up.

On 17/10/2017 at 4:18 AM, Juan4aigle said:

Hey! Yeah I feel your pain, I have Beyond the threshold and recurring nightmares and it feels a bit overwhelming.

I could absolutely be wrong here, so bear that in mind and that I'm speaking from memory here. I have to say 4 players is the highest count I've had and I don't remember a scenario with two Star Spawns. Also, there are monsters that have not once made it into play in any episodes I played, for example I'm yet to see the Cthonians in a game. Also, you can use a big mini like the Star Spawn even if the game asks for Soggoth, but just use the info and values from the right token.

I think it all depends on the number of players, but yeah with 4 I think you will rarely use more than 4 cultists, more than one mob (that I feel appears in just one or two episodes), and more than one "big boss".

Again, I could be wrong this is all from memory!

My GF and I played Escape from Innismouth(Sp?) and had to face two Star Spawn showing up at the same time. We failed :-(

On 21/10/2017 at 4:43 PM, Vetnor said:

My GF and I played Escape from Innismouth(Sp?) and had to face two Star Spawn showing up at the same time. We failed :-(

Daaaaaamn with two players? that's the game's way of saying "you should start putting things back in the box now".

It seems a lot of people have encountered more than one big monster at once, but I can't genuinely remember it happening during a scenario for me. I have seen monsters with silly amounts of health due to player count but not two star spawns that I remember. Maybe my brain is blocking the memories so I can sleep at night.... :P

On 23/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, Juan4aigle said:

Daaaaaamn with two players? that's the game's way of saying "you should start putting things back in the box now".

Yes that's how it felt. I we learnt a couple of very important lessons from that game -

1) Don't separate!!!!!!!!!

2) Don't take on the mob!!!!

I want to finish it so we will be dragging my sister and brother into the game so we can :-)