Split Campaigns

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

This will be my first (hopefully many more) campaign and i wanted to start off with something interesting.

My idea is to have a split campaign. One side of my campaign will be under a tech priest of my devising named Klightus Ignance, he will hunt down STC's in the Claxis sector as well as hunt down tech heretics (he has a broad definition of tech heresy so anyone that knows tech would be a heretic to him unless they are of the Omnisiah) he has one mortal enemy named Shiv Cromwell. This is where the split comes in Shiv is a reclimator (so Klightus wants to kill him he even blew his arm off once) he is part of the Inquisition leading a group of alcolytes to hunt down demonic heresy and corruption where it stands in the imperium.

Shiv and Klightus have been hunting eachother for about 3 years now (this is all backstory of my making) they hate eachother with a passion...well more Klightus hating Shiv because hes a reclimator so its his job to know tech when hes not supposed to. they have each given eachother battle scars Klightus blew Shivs arm off and Shiv has taken a piece of tech of Klightus that is beloved by him.

The catch in this storyline is that occasionaly they find eachother and Shiv and Klightus will fight as well as each players "double" will fight eachother furthering their roleplaying abillities. i am even going to try to get them to switch sides occasionaly through the plot line furthering the story (im a very story oriented gm i like seeing how people play).

so thats my catch id like some feedback on what you all think and possible story ideas hopefully it will help out i have about 2 weeks before i start so i have time to tweak around and mess with the story if needed tell me what you think.

Not a bad idea in itself. I'm not sure I would want to attempt having the players run characters opposed to each other, but that has more to do with the time involved: I don't plan on running a lengthy camapign.

I take the basic idea and work with it: Two rival Inquisitors with partial overlap in interest (i.e. they have other things to do than get in each other's way). They are motivated by bitter rivalry rather than enmity, meaning that they aren't dead set on killing the other, but rather upstaging him, proving him wrong or simply foiling his plans out of petty spite.

This would require them to maintain a civil facade when interacting socially (e.g. when there are witnesses around). Meanwhile they have no compuctions about letting their acolytes slaughter each other in a hidden war behind the scenes, as long as it's all kept discrete. The only rule would be: don't touch the Inquisitor!

As the story progresses the two groups would meet fairly frequently, though one to three missions between these encounters should pace things out nicely.

The main reason for this is that players tend to suffer from the "shoot the boss" syndrome, which tends to result in the GM either needing to scrap the NPC or come up with increasingly contrived means to keep him alive. A simple "He's mine!" from their master should suffice to keep the PCs focused on the rival Acolytes.

I ran a wfrp campaign where one of my players was Sigmar Reborn (Valten, but he was called Hanz). They gathered troops, solved tensions with the churches, made alliences with the Elector Counts etc. On the other hand they played some Skavens. They had to prepare utter annihilation of the humans, come up with a cunning plan for world domination and try to stay alive while being tossed between clans, fractions and enemies.

I ran my campaign this way because one of my players was only OG available between 15 and 21 hours, wheras the other players were available drom 11 to 21. The skavencampaign ran from 11 to 15.

This campaign ran for two years, so I now consider myself an expert in split campaigns cool.gif

Some events that might inspire you:

One time the skavens prepared an assassination on an ally of the humans. They had to kill a priest, Luther Huss, who was being garded by some freelance humans (the players). The skavens prepared a plan, assigned their troops and took possition. Then my other (late) player arrived. So we switched to the human campaign. He led the humans in defending their package (Luther Huss). The other players followed his leadership and commands. The human player had no idea his friends had only hours before devised the attackplan of the skavens. I must say that all my players played excellent. Most funny moment was when the Slayer killed the Rat Oger that was actually the mutantpet of his own Moulderskaven. He was happy and sad at the same time.

I had twisted the plot in the end that some chaos-betrayal made the skavens sitting on the same side as the humans, without the humans knowing this. The players didn't know this either, because i like to play with timelines: the humans were suddanly getting help from their own skavens (that i controled), and only later did they play the scenario with their skavens that explained why the skavens needed to protect the humans. In the battle i allowed players that went down (unconsious, entangled, dead) to continue playing with their skavens.

When one group didn't understand why things were happening, i used to other group to explain things. For instance: the humans were being followed. They didn't know by who or why. I'm sure i had some brilliant idea at the time, but being a GM that prepares very little and invents an the flow, i sometimes forget things. So i forgot between sessions that they were being followed. But my players remembered weeks later and searched for reasons. The whole story was about to derail when i had their skavens encounter a Eshin-party that had trailed the humans, just for information purposes. The human characters still didn't understand things IG, but at least they stopped to try to explain the events so vigourasly (because the players already had the answer). You might call it bad roleplaying, but none of us had any problems with it and i was happy that my campaign was back on track.

Mostly I used both groups to tell the greater story without the need to resort to deus ex machinas. I told the story of the dwarfs, the humans and the elfs in the human campaign, wheras i explained the choas-side with my skavens. In the end the players experienced an epic adventure. The empire was saved, the human characters are all dead, and all of my players keep asking for some more skaven adventures.

But first they'll have to serve the emperor for some time...

ps: I tried to keep my English as tidy as possible. Be gentle, or this first post will be my last and i'll return to leeching these fora lengua.gif