more than one ancester

By skyzyks, in Rules Questions

should the GM decide whether a player can create a character with more than one ancestor? I have found that nowhere in the beta text says other wise.

For example I have a Matsu Tatsuyo, whos father was from the phoenix clan. Having two family branches I chose to combine the name parts of a lion ancestor( with glorious sacrifice)[named Matsu Chiyoko] and that of a phoenix ancestor(with Imperial heritage )[named Shiba Tatsumasa].

The ancestor roll only tells you to generate one (well, technically to generate two and pick one)

Nothing stops your GM letting you generate 2, or to narratively pick one or more extras, but the fact that some results are purely positive (improved honour/glory plus more advantages or stuff) means that it's something I would be hesitant to allow.

thanks

I think the idea of creating a whole genealogy for characters would be fun, but there's a couple of concerns. The character is going to be getting a skill or other boost from each ancestor--the more they roll up, the more free stuff they get. The other thing is going by the table any ancestor you get is going to be some storied legendary samurai of lore who did some great thing that is remembered in the modern day. I can see most Great Clan samurai having someone like that somewhere in their past--or at least being able to make up a legend about one if they need to. But more than that? Is everyone in this samurai's family famous and awesome? If another chart was made that allowed ancestors who ran the full range of reputations from sad failures and traitors through average samurai of minor note with a chance at having one that was known for something awesome, I'd feel a lot better about that being something players could roll on multiple times.

You can have ancestors who don’t have any direct effect on you. If you want to detail a few more than the one you get from rolling on the table there’s absolutely nothing stopping you. Getting mechanical benefits from more than one ancestor though, that’s not supposed to happen.

7 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

You can have ancestors who don’t have any direct effect on you. If you want to detail a few more than the one you get from rolling on the table there’s absolutely nothing stopping you. Getting mechanical benefits from more than one ancestor though, that’s not supposed to happen.

This. In my games both gm’d and played you only have one active ancestor (unless you get the Mantis twin foxes from the Great Clans).

The reason is that your selected ancestor is the one than decided to take a chance on you and to guide you and bring glory to the family, to their best of your abilities.

Remember that THEY DEMAND ATTENTION AND DEVOTION; for us they are not just a mechanical bonus they are another NPC that can help, nag or haunt you.

In our games if you don’t follow their demands you loose the ancestor mechanics and gain the haunted disadvantage until you atone to them (in our games only as a house rule).

Edited by Nheko
15 minutes ago, Nheko said:

This. In my games both gm’d and played you only have one active ancestor (unless you get the Mantis twin foxes from the Great Clans).

The reason is that your selected ancestor is the one than decided to take a chance on you and to guide you and bring glory to the family, to their best of your abilities.

Remember that THEY DEMAND ATTENTION AND DEVOTION; for us they are not just a mechanical bonus they are another NPC that can help, nag or haunt you.

In our games if you don’t follow their demands you loose the ancestor mechanics and gain the haunted disadvantage until you atone to them (in our games only as a house rule).

Keep in mind that ancestries in this game are not quite the same as ancestors from previous editions, but otherwise I concur.

Yeah... but also they can provide excellent opportunities for tailoring advantages (blessed lineage - dynasty builder or discovery) or disadvantages (glorious sacrifice - haunted Neil you retrieve their signature item)... shame is rolled at the end.

Edited by Nheko