Trivial Questions about Descent

By The Sorcerer King, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I would like to apologize in advance for the length/potential pointlessness of this post, but I wanted to get out as many trivial questions and minor complaints as I could all in one go. Perhaps added together they make one worthwhile question instead of a series of petty uncertainties. If anyone knows the answer, or could come up with a theory as to why something here is, (or point out a misunderstanding on my part) I would be grateful if you would indulge my curiosity.

1. Do golems use the magic die instead of melee die in their attacks, even though the attack itself is melee? I could see why, I suppose- with them being magical creations and bigger on defense than offence- but it still seems odd.

2. Why in the world are Ice Wyrms eldritch type monsters? From what I can tell they are wingless dragons who prowl unseen through snow and can swallow unwary travelers. Seems like a slam dunk for the beast category if you ask me. Unless there is something particularly eldritch about these things (if they were ghosts or elementals or relied on spells or something), it seems eldritch already has enough high-powered monsters (Chaos Beasts, Demons, Golems, etc.), and not enough low to mid-range ones.

3. Confused why Bane Spider attacks are magic, but I can live with it. Maybe their venom/webs are naturally imbued with dark magics or something.

4. Why in the world are ogres undying instead of regenerating? Can’t remember if regenerate was an ability back in core descent, but maybe this is why. Anyone edit this as a house rule or something? I picture undying monsters more like reanimating from the grave, like a lich, skeleton, or someone chosen by fate- while from their description, it sounds like ogres simply regenerate “even the most grievous wounds”.

5. This one may be just me, as I’m not sure my game came with all the pieces, but are there supposed to be two master Ferrox, but only three normal ones? All the other monsters of about the same level seem to have four normal ones. I figured this was to make up for the loads of kobolds Well of Darkness came with, but am beginning to think I may have received an incomplete set of figures.

6. Curious as to why exactly things like healing runes and Shaar the Brightwing were removed in Campaign Play to prevent healing between dungeons- but the new (was it an item or a skill?) in Sea of Blood would allow Red Scorpion and Ispher to do just that. Why not just restrict these items to “in-dungeon/encounter only” or something with less potential for abuse (maybe only healing a certain amount per week)?

7. With the advent of the swim ability in Sea of Blood, you would think some Tomb of Ice monsters were in need of a makeover. Wyrms and maybe medusa seem like they would easily glide through water (both snake-like in shape). As for lava beetles, they seem like they should get damaged or killed in water due to their fiery disposition (though I realize there is no ability for that…) Maybe something from Tomb of Ice will at last get a frost ability (seems to make sense.

There are loads of other little things, but these are all I can remember off the top of my head and I’ve already babbled on too long Again, sorry for the rambling, being overly verbose is my shield gran_risa.gif ...

I guess what I’m asking is if anyone with a particularly analytical mind can come up with the answer to some of these things, or if anyone else has noticed things that seem to be out of place or contradict each-other?

The Sorcerer King said:

I would like to apologize in advance for the length/potential pointlessness of this post, but I wanted to get out as many trivial questions and minor complaints as I could all in one go. Perhaps added together they make one worthwhile question instead of a series of petty uncertainties. If anyone knows the answer, or could come up with a theory as to why something here is, (or point out a misunderstanding on my part) I would be grateful if you would indulge my curiosity.

1. Do golems use the magic die instead of melee die in their attacks, even though the attack itself is melee? I could see why, I suppose- with them being magical creations and bigger on defense than offence- but it still seems odd.

2. Why in the world are Ice Wyrms eldritch type monsters? From what I can tell they are wingless dragons who prowl unseen through snow and can swallow unwary travelers. Seems like a slam dunk for the beast category if you ask me. Unless there is something particularly eldritch about these things (if they were ghosts or elementals or relied on spells or something), it seems eldritch already has enough high-powered monsters (Chaos Beasts, Demons, Golems, etc.), and not enough low to mid-range ones.

3. Confused why Bane Spider attacks are magic, but I can live with it. Maybe their venom/webs are naturally imbued with dark magics or something.

4. Why in the world are ogres undying instead of regenerating? Can’t remember if regenerate was an ability back in core descent, but maybe this is why. Anyone edit this as a house rule or something? I picture undying monsters more like reanimating from the grave, like a lich, skeleton, or someone chosen by fate- while from their description, it sounds like ogres simply regenerate “even the most grievous wounds”.

5. This one may be just me, as I’m not sure my game came with all the pieces, but are there supposed to be two master Ferrox, but only three normal ones? All the other monsters of about the same level seem to have four normal ones. I figured this was to make up for the loads of kobolds Well of Darkness came with, but am beginning to think I may have received an incomplete set of figures.

6. Curious as to why exactly things like healing runes and Shaar the Brightwing were removed in Campaign Play to prevent healing between dungeons- but the new (was it an item or a skill?) in Sea of Blood would allow Red Scorpion and Ispher to do just that. Why not just restrict these items to “in-dungeon/encounter only” or something with less potential for abuse (maybe only healing a certain amount per week)?

7. With the advent of the swim ability in Sea of Blood, you would think some Tomb of Ice monsters were in need of a makeover. Wyrms and maybe medusa seem like they would easily glide through water (both snake-like in shape). As for lava beetles, they seem like they should get damaged or killed in water due to their fiery disposition (though I realize there is no ability for that…) Maybe something from Tomb of Ice will at last get a frost ability (seems to make sense.

There are loads of other little things, but these are all I can remember off the top of my head and I’ve already babbled on too long Again, sorry for the rambling, being overly verbose is my shield gran_risa.gif ...

I guess what I’m asking is if anyone with a particularly analytical mind can come up with the answer to some of these things, or if anyone else has noticed things that seem to be out of place or contradict each-other?

1. Yes

2.FFG's way of balancing yhe three type pf monsters so that each type has the same # of baddies.

3.FFG logic.

4.regen. was not part of the Basic set. It did not come out till Road to Legend. FFG just opted not the change the ogers abilities. I'm sure that thought about it.

5. I do think that is the right number of ferrox's not sure I don't have the game with me. Chk the rule book they came with. It will tell you the #'s that each monster come with.

6.FFG logic. Trying to make all parts of the game work with a campain system that was ever thought of while they were making Descent.

7.see # 3 and #6.

8.The FAQ and the list of unanseward questions could help you with some of the other rules and other little things that don't make sence.

But you got to love the game....... gui%C3%B1o.gif

The Sorcerer King said:

Off the top of my head, probably to make sure the number of beast/humanoid/eldritch monsters in ToI was even. I say this without having access to my cards, of course.

The Sorcerer King said:

In the base game, IIRC, there were an even split of melee, ranged and magic monsters. The Bane Spiders got magic most likley to maintain that balance. Or perhaps the idea that giant spiders are magical by nature convinced KW et al to go this route. The world may never know, but your hypothesis is as good as any.

The Sorcerer King said:

I definitely don't recall Regenerate being in the base game. Ispher's ability technically includes regenerating, but his card doesn't use an actual "Regenerate" ability. I think you're right that Ogres having Undying was (is) supposed to represent regeneration.

The Sorcerer King said:

As I recall, all monsters had a fixed ratio of red to white. It varied by different monster types, but each type had a consistent ratio. 1:1 for giants, 2:1 for manticores, 3:1 for beastmen, etc. 2 red ferrox and 3 normal sounds like you got short-changed 1 normal, because it isn't a consistent ratio as is.

The Sorcerer King said:

Red Scorpion and Ispher have always had that ruling in RtL as well, that their abilities allow them to fully heal after a dungeon. As far as simply limiting the use of such items, it doesn't work. Once the heroes have cleared a level they can just sit there and use the healing items until they're full before leaving. If they can cover all LoS on the smaller dungeons, so much the better, but even if you still have a few dark corners, they can still grind things to a halt by refusing to move on until they're all healed up. The new ruling about cycling the deck twice ejecting the heroes would help with this abuse, but I don't think it completely nullifies it. Best case scenario they can heal as much as they can each level (until you're just about to cycle the second time or they are fully healed) which will drag an already ridiculously long game out even further and at the least decrease the threat of damage persisting for everyone other than RS and Ispher.

The Sorcerer King said:

A lot of these points were flavor-based, which Descent is not famous for catering to. The rules are the rules, they don't always make sense. I've tried to add insight where I could, but if you want a "logical" reason for why ogres have Undying or Spiders are magic, you're just as well off making up whatever helps you sleep at night. =)

DOH! Just chk you got jipped 1 tan Farrox ......................Sorry! preocupado.gif

Email FFG's customer support. There is a 99% chance they will send you the missing figure for free. Better make sure nothing else was missing while you're at it.

The ferrox thing actually happened to me as well, but I didn't notice it until like a few weeks ago and I've had that expansion for months. I have an extra normal Kobold instead.

Thanks to all that contributed- it's good to see there is some form of logic behind all this, puzzling as it may be. Ratios and simplicity have their place too, I suppose. I'm just more of a flavor-focused person. I’m still a bit miffed that Undead in Runewars require food, though that issue has pretty much been resolved…

As for the Ferrox, I'll probably write to FFG and get to the bottom of it. In the past the FFG staff has been extremely helpful in problems like this. When I got a Ice Wyrm missing a jaw and a leg in Tomb of Ice, they were very understanding and quick to respond and get a replacement mailed, so I am hopeful this issue can be promptly resolved.

Despite all my quibbles and qualms, I have to agree that Descent is one heck of a fun game. They've gotten the system down so well, that just playing a quick dungeon or two with some friends can be fast and exciting, and neither side (usually) has an overwhelming advantage. I suppose there can be a few flavor-based ambiguities in the whole scheme of things... guess it gives me the opportunity to add house-rules and back-stories (though I have yet to add house-rules... the game just flows too darn well)! gran_risa.gif