Starting Characters?

By defendi, in "A Rōnin's Path" Adventure Reports

The adventure says the characters should have 24 xp under their belts. My players want to experience on starting fresh from scratch. On the other hand, there are 8 of them. Should I hold off a few sessions before running it, or will they overrun it with numbers anyway?

4 hours ago, defendi said:

The adventure says the characters should have 24 xp under their belts. My players want to experience on starting fresh from scratch. On the other hand, there are 8 of them. Should I hold off a few sessions before running it, or will they overrun it with numbers anyway?

8 will probably find it fairly easy, if they end up struggling then consider lowering a few of the Target Numbers by 1.

The Mass Combat could be too easy though since their increased numbers will mean a bigger force for the Crab army. 2 of the objectives are met by doing a certain amount of damage to the enemy army, more PC's mean more damage being done, which means an easier battle. In that case the objectives for each round may need adjustment.

Thanks!

The big issue for starting pcs is the duel without the extra xp a character is unlikely to have a second rank in their combat skills which will but them at a disadvantage vs the ronin.