Moe's paint works

By Moeaswordusrex, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

So instead of releasing each image of my painted mini separately, I've decided to do what most people do, and created a forum to showcase of my painted miniatures. Now, there are a few things to bare in mind with regards to my minis...

I'm not a professional painter by any means, and my minis probably look quite mediocre in comparison to many other people's works on the forums, but I enjoy doing it, which is the important thing, right? I should also mention that I already have painted quite a few of the imperial assault minis, but I don't want to post them, because they really are quite bad, and my family has also painted some of the miniatures, so there probably wont be that many posted over time. I also currently don't have a proper lighting set up to photograph my miniatures, but this is something I hope will change soon.

So, enough rambling, here are my painted miniatures.

xZ7iGJL.jpg

xZ7iGJL.jpg

Iv'e already posted this miniature before in another post but, I thought I'd post here as well, especially because I managed to take a better photo of it. I used Citadel paints for this one. If you want more info for this one, here's the post for that:

Edited by Moeaswordusrex

NrifrZa.jpg

jK6Camo.jpg

So, here's the next one... sorry it takes so long between each mini, but I currently can't have it any other way.

Anyway, this one was painted with mostly vallejo paints this time. The paints seem good, as good as citadel anyway, with the added bonus of being cheaper and having a far better container. I also attempted a second textured base, it's better than the last, but it's still not great, I wanted to get some grass tufts to stick on to it, but I wasn't able to, but ill update when I can. Not a great job, I'm happy with nice contrast created, but there quite a few messy points on the miniature. It was my first time properly trying to create a flesh tone, and I also attempted to paint eyes for the first time. So in conclusion, better than the last, but still not great.

Edited by Moeaswordusrex

You are really selling yourself short. Those look great. Love the eyes of Greedo and the vest of the smuggler.

If there is one thing I think the smuggler is a bit pale (and that is a small thing) but anything other than that is so great.

14 minutes ago, Etheneus said:

You are really selling yourself short. Those look great. Love the eyes of Greedo and the vest of the smuggler.

If there is one thing I think the smuggler is a bit pale (and that is a small thing) but anything other than that is so great.

Thanks man,I really do appreciate it.

Yeah I agree on the smugglers skin being to pale, I had wanted it to be more pink bit I think my transitions between shades had jumped a little to much.

He’s a smuggler! Always hiding in cubby holes, stowing away under floor panels, and whatnot. How’s he supposed to get a tan in those conditions??? He looks rad.

OK. Bases need work but agree to that you need a stronger (lighter in colour) drybrush to get a better look.

The actual models look fantastic!

Not a lot to critique from my skill level and the eyes on the smuggler looks just fine. I don't even try myself. Skin tone is also good on the smuggler too.

Better basing and I'd rate these very high personally!

6 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

He’s a smuggler! Always hiding in cubby holes, stowing away under floor panels, and whatnot. How’s he supposed to get a tan in those conditions??? He looks rad.

I like your optimism.

4 hours ago, CuddlyRich81 said:

OK. Bases need work but agree to that you need a stronger (lighter in colour) drybrush to get a better look.

The actual models look fantastic!

Not a lot to critique from my skill level and the eyes on the smuggler looks just fine. I don't even try myself. Skin tone is also good on the smuggler too.

Better basing and I'd rate these very high personally!

Thanks! I think my problem with basing is when I get to it at the end I'm in the mind set of wanting my work done, so I don't put as much effort into it. But I would really like to get better at it. Any suggestions as to what I should use or how to do it?

49 minutes ago, Moeaswordusrex said:

Thanks! I think my problem with basing is when I get to it at the end I'm in the mind set of wanting my work done, so I don't put as much effort into it. But I would really like to get better at it. Any suggestions as to what I should use or how to do it?

The bases you have done so far I would actually look at Warhammer TV. That's where I started to get a feel of the citadel texture paint and other easy tips for getting bases done with little effort because I really didn't want to put time in it then.

4 hours ago, Etheneus said:

The bases you have done so far I would actually look at Warhammer TV. That's where I started to get a feel of the citadel texture paint and other easy tips for getting bases done with little effort because I really didn't want to put time in it then.

Cheers, I'll give em a look.

First off the base is integral to the whole, so a shody base does hurt the final piece. You have a great start on the smuggler, just take the same or similar colour as the texture paint, some bone colour and do as follows.

Mix 50 50 bone and brown, drybrush. Then take the bone and drybrush. Finally tidy the edge.

I'll sort out some pics of mine later for examples :)

52 minutes ago, CuddlyRich81 said:

First off the base is integral to the whole, so a shody base does hurt the final piece. You have a great start on the smuggler, just take the same or similar colour as the texture paint, some bone colour and do as follows.

Mix 50 50 bone and brown, drybrush. Then take the bone and drybrush. Finally tidy the edge.

I'll sort out some pics of mine later for examples :)

Thanks! Some pics would actually be really useful.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pjPnr

My biggest examples! Simple but I feel adds the finishing touch :)

1 hour ago, CuddlyRich81 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pjPnr

My biggest examples! Simple but I feel adds the finishing touch :)

These look great! Can I ask where you got your basing material and what you used.

Its fine sand and gw grass tufts dead simple but looks good ;)

48 minutes ago, CuddlyRich81 said:

Its fine sand and gw grass tufts dead simple but looks good ;)

Cheers Rich!