Just ran this for my group...

By player2636234, in "A Rōnin's Path" Adventure Reports

Just now, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Honestly, the game needed to be playtesting at even higher rank. This adventure is just a mechanics exercise with a loose (and incredibly silly) story attached to it. The biggest problems I see for this game are in scalability. Imagine the Disadvantage/Void Point mechanics at Rank 3 or 4. The characters will have to deliberately fail at simple tasks, or come up with wacky, impossibly difficult tasks just to get Void Points back.

I don't disagree that higher levels need to be tested, but not before you get your entry level character right.

I remember playing old AD&D 2nd ed first print. The mid levels were fine but in the entry levels it took a group to kill a kobold, and you would still have losses. Then at high levels your only challenge was a God.

The point is all level should be balanced.

Just now, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Or they just adjust the School Rank tracking to accommodate for it by adding a couple extra requirements. It really doesn't have to be terribly complicated. The previous editions handled character progression to Insight Rank 2 with no problem, and the characters were incredibly customizable. If it wasn't a problem then, it isn't a problem now.

The difference was that 1-4th ed. used a pool of xp that allowed you to customizes your character to your taste.

The issues here is that in other editions Twenty-questions was a guide to plan out you character, not the straitjacket that it has become here.

6 minutes ago, tenchi2a said:

The difference was that 1-4th ed. used a pool of xp that allowed you to customizes your character to your taste.

The issues here is that in other editions Twenty-questions was a guide to plan out you character, not the straitjacket that it has become here.

I don't disagree. I put up my long-form "First Thoughts" in the "Early Impressions" thread on the main page . Character creation is a mess. Fun and clever structure, terrible results.

I run into the same problems as the OP and expected them to happen (I playtested 3rd and 4th edition, so I do have some experience). The 20 questions options are really odd and limited.