a few new market item

By Lord Loren Soth, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello guys

what do you think about these 5 market items i developed lately?

do you think they will balance/umbalance the RTL game?

how would you make them balanced eventually?

thanks guys

runedifuoco.jpg

runedelristoro.jpg

pergamenadiguarigione.jpg

mazzaj.jpg

lanciae.jpg

Lord Loren Soth said:

Hello guys

what do you think about these 5 market items i developed lately?

do you think they will balance/umbalance the RTL game?

how would you make them balanced eventually?

thanks guys

lanciae.jpg

forgot to put the links

img59.imageshack.us/i/runedifuoco.jpg/

http://img695.imageshack.us/i/runedelristoro.jpg/

img43.imageshack.us/i/pergamenadiguarigione.jpg/

img16.imageshack.us/i/lanciae.jpg/

img9.imageshack.us/i/mazzaj.jpg/

Just a couple comments, Runes are usually 2 handed, especially store runes. And knockback on a store item can be pretty powerful. You might want to consider the surge cost to at least 3 surges.

-shnar

shnar said:

Just a couple comments, Runes are usually 2 handed, especially store runes. And knockback on a store item can be pretty powerful. You might want to consider the surge cost to at least 3 surges.

-shnar

thanks and what do you think about the healing scroll?

do you think it will unbalance a rtl game?

Actually all rune weapons published by FFG are two-handed. Every single one. All staves, too. There's only a single one-handed magic weapon ever publishedthe Star of Kellos, a gold treasure in ToI. Magic heroes are clearly supposed to be at a defensive disadvantage, hence the lack of hands to hold a shield, the general inability to equip heavy armor, and the lack of money to spend on defenses after shelling out for a magic weapon.

Let's compare some of these items to existing shop items:

Runes of Fire vs. Immolation
both magic weapons
both runes
dice: Runes of Fire has WGY, Immolation just has WG
surges: both can spend 2 surges for +1 damage or +1 range, Runes of Fire can also spend 1 surge for Burn
slot: Runes of Fire is one-handed, Immolation if two-handed
cost: Runes of Fire cost 100, Immolation costs 200

Runes of Fire is equal or better than Immolation in every way: more damage, significantly more range, more surge options, one-handed, and half the cost. Unless you think that Immolation is so weak that a player would need to be out of their mind to ever consider buying it, Runes of Fire is clearly massively overpowered. It's probably even too good to be a copper treasure. Heck, with it only using up one hand slot, it might even be good enough to be a silver treasure; crappy surges for silver, but the dice are what you'd expect from a silver weapon, and it takes less hands than any existing silver magic weapon.

Spear vs. Crossbow
both ranged weapons
both one-handed
dice: Spear has BGY, Crossbow just has BG
surges: both cost 2 surges for +1 damage, but the Spear can get +1 range for 1 surge, while +1 range costs three surges on the Crossbow
extra abilities: Spear has Pierce 1 , Crossbow has nothing
cost: Spear costs 75, Crossbow costs 150

Again, the Spear is equal or better than the Crossbow in every way: more damage, significantly more range, better surge efficiency for range, half the cost, and Pierce 1 thrown in as extra. The Spear is definitely not balanced with existing shop weapons. Again, it's probably better than several copper ranged weapons.

Mace vs. Bone Blade (a copper treasure)
both melee weapons
both one-handed
dice: both RG
surges: Both get +1 damage for 1 surge; Mace also gets Knockback for 2 surges
cost: Mace costs 150, Bone Blade is a copper treasure

The Mace is nearly identical to a copper treasure . Except better . What the heck are you comparing these items to when you design them?

Runes of Recovery
Other Rune - Discard to restore 2 wounds and 2 fatigue
cost: 50

This provides over half the healing of a healing potion, roughly half the fatigue of a vitality potion (more for low-fatigue heroes), and has the same cost as either. That's looking like it's probably too good from a simple cost/benefit perspective. But on top of that, it doesn't count against your one-potion-per-turn limit, it doesn't cost a movement point to use, it can be used when it's not even your turn, and it bypasses the limit on the number of potions you can buy at once in RtL. Way too good.

Scroll of Healing
Other - Discard to restore 5 wounds to a hero within 3 spaces.
cost: 150

You've got two hand icons at the bottom of the card that don't make any sense.

This costs 3 times as much as a healing potion and heals less than twice as much. However, it also has all the fringe benefits of the Runes of Recovery: bypasses normal limits, doesn't cost movement points, and has no restrictions on when it's used. For vanilla, it might be vaguely reasonable; not something you'd normally use, but might be worthwhile in special situations or when you have lots of money. For RtL, I'm not sure; I haven't played it, but I understand healing becomes more important, and the heroes get lots of coins.

My conclusion: you have no clue what you're doing. You need to compare your items to existing items and try to identify the advantages and drawbacks of each; your goal should be to create items that are better than existing items under some circumstances , but worse under others, so that either your item or the original item are reasonable purchases when both are available.