Waiqar eyes

By TravisTheTechie, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I'm pretty new to painting figures, e.g. this is my first Runewars figure, I think I'm reasonably (but not 100%) happy with the outcome except I can't seem to get anything to work for the eyes. I took some WP Crystal Blue and watered it down, trying to dab into the eye socket. It ends up just running out of the eye and I clean up the streaks. How do I create the thin effect like in the Waiqar guide around the eye socket?

IMG_0636.jpg

So trick I use is go with white in the eyes and then use a blue glaze like citadel's glaze guilliman blue (or whichever color you choose) over the top of it. Do the glazing in several really light layers - I usually add about an equal amount of lamium medium. It will dry pretty fast, but do give it time to dry. The effect you want will build up over about 3 thinned layers or you can just do 1 non-thinned if you're impatient. If you want a different color you can do a glaze with 1 brush of your color and about 6 or 7 drops of the valejo glaze medium.

I don't use glazes or washes at all for the eyes. Instead I do the following:

- Paint the eye sockets in a dark version of my glow colour (e.g. purple if I want a pink glow as on my Waiqar)

- Put a glow color dot in the middle of the eye (pink in my case)

- If you can put a smaller (tiny) white dot in the colored dot.

- Mix the glow color 50:50 with your face color (bone in my case) and paint the rim around the eye (cheek bones, brows) with that.

You get something like this:
LancerComparison.jpg

Thanks, I'll give these a try. I have some 20 figures to go, so one of them will turn out right!