Assessment check, or, Initiative in a skirmish

By GhostSanta, in Rules Questions

I may be missing something here, but correct me if I'm wrong:

Specifically involving the Earth check on pg. 153:
Hypothetically, the GM says "Combat starts, make an assessment check.
1. A player can either heal 3 strife immediately OR choose an assessment (tactics) check with a chosen ring.
2. The player chooses Find Defences, rolling Earth / Tactics at TN 1. (I am assuming that they succeed, and also add the result on to their initiative.)
3. The player then chooses another character with a disadvantage that the player knows about.
4. The target then ignores the disadvantage for the scene.

If I'm reading this right, can I use this to have my allies ignore things like being blind or having one arm in effectively every single scene?

Edited by GhostSanta

By RAW and mechanically. Yes, pretty much. but its probable that they will do some narrative cop out like "Ask your GM about it."

(By the way i dont really liked the assesment bonus things, in a intrigue the fire one as an example, looks really strong. i would enjoy more if your assesment would only decide your starting stance, which is also important.)

Heh, rad.

You can have no legs, but as long as a friend really plants HIS feet, you can win a foot race.

GAME. WHAT.

Its for every conflict, so if you have bitter bethrotal, always have a friend by your side. your wife wont give you a hard time if he is in earth stance.

My friend here has a Gaijin name? who cares, i got his back. im in earth stance.

Crab are the best bro's. no doubt about it.

Edited by Mobiusllls

This strikes me as incredibly stupid. Thankfully this is only the Beta

51 minutes ago, Mobiusllls said:

Its for every conflict, so if you have bitter bethrotal, always have a friend by your side. your wife wont give you a hard time if he is in earth stance.

My friend here has a Gaijin name? who cares, i got his back. im in earth stance.

Crab are the best bro's. no doubt about it.

I am laughing way to hard about this.

I really think Advantages and Disadvantages should be divided into categories of severity. There should be low level ones with which you start; things like missing a finger, bad blood, minor enemy, the beauty thing etc.

Then severe ones that come from things like Critical Strikes and major acts of honour or dishonour. Missing limbs, reputation of something, a haunting etc

In this way the Assessment could ignore a minor Ad/Dis but the major ones are there always.