Togashi Dragon Monk Questions

By Nikkitty, in Rules Questions

So, in previous editions of L5R [well, 4th, at least, which is the only one I played], Togashi Dragon Monks were super cool, and very supernatural with what their tattoos did. While they weren't straight up as strong as most Bushi at fighting, they could do weird magical things to match or outstrip most Bushi schools in my experience. Now, 5e seems to be moving towards making Monks weirder and more mystical, which is cool - but the actual Monk stuff seems sort of... strange. I don't understand what roll the Monk is supposed to fill now. Comparing Kiho and Kata, Kata are clearly stronger in a lot of cases than Kiho, and without certain Kiho up, a monk is going be doing trash level damage as is anyways.

The limitation on only one Kiho at a time means that a monk has to choose between being able to do any damage [since unarmed is really bad without one of the Elemental Fists up] and being able to use the neat magical powers, that are still lower power than an Invocation.

So my question is - what is the role of the Togashi Dragon Monk? How are you supposed to build them to 'keep up' with more focused members like the Bushi or Shugenja?

The permanent boost to skills the tattoos give would go a long way toward keeping up with bushi or Shugenja i think, though i miss the tattoos of each clan's animal that gave unique magic powers (flame breath is a kiho now instead of a dragon tattoo)

Their role is still to teach Kaze do to peasants and follow their own path on the way to enlightenment. And to discipline unruly samurai with Kaze Do. They are more in need of mechanic to put opponents in dazed or disabled status than to be making damage.

they make for interesting or fun character to play.

for an example.

Edited by Nitenman

Of course the day Yokuni Sama will unleash them on Rokugan to fight wathever threat he deems necessary, some will be in a world of pain.

I'll try to build a war oriented Ise Zumi a la togashi Kaelung and post results.

The tattoos now are pretty potent, and the kiho are mostly really good. Monks can be incredibly annoying to fight with their ability to fight at range 0 and entangle you.

Their earth kiho that breaks weapons and armor is a nightmare to deal with.

Don't forget, they can also use weapons. Not everry monk fights unarmed.

You're saying they monks fell behind bushi in effectiveness really doesn't match up to my experience. Monks in general, and tattoo monks specifically quickly beat out bushi in combat effectiveness. Plus having more options outside of direct combat application.

Shugenja had the same problem in 4th edition as well, but they get access to overwhelming combat potential without even needing to invest in combat abilities.