Kenjutsu style and "common" schools.

By Nitenman, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

I think styles could be implemented now that techniques have been extracted from clan schools. A style would be a specific set of kenjutsu techniques, known and taught throughout the Empire. Clan specifics could add on top.

" let's confront your Crane battojutsu to my Scorpion Shinkage style. "

so base samurai could learn the Shinkage style techniques from any Shinkage sensei, and truly talented characters(like PCs) from a clan would also be able to learn clan specifics Shinkage from a clan sensei. See I always felt weird to imagine that every samurai was trained by clan school. In most of my games, nameless npcs and weak or unimportant NPCs have no school.

Not every Tokugawa samurai was trained by the Yagyu in Shinkage style. Only the shogun and close family.

always wondered with old editions how come in 1000 years no one has invented a universal kenjutsu style.

9 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

always wondered with old editions how come in 1000 years no one has invented a universal kenjutsu style.

Insufficient Rokugani trademark law to protect the creator's rights to collect royalties from those who adopt and teach their universal style. ;)

7 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

The same reason why they really didn't create a universal style in Japan or Korea. People have their personal preferences and each family or clan believed that their style was superior and didn't need to change much if at all. Also combat styles tend to develop from inspiration of the surrounding terrain, as that influenced their maneuverability. People in mountain areas tend to develop quick short hard motions, while those near the ocean develop powerful rushing motions like the waves.

It does make sense, but I think it could be an interesting dynamic. Maybe homebrewed in a kenjutsu centric campaign.

more than "universal" maybe just not clan dependent.

Edited by Nitenman
44 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

It does make sense, but I think it could be an interesting dynamic. Maybe homebrewed in a kenjutsu centric campaign.

more than "universal" maybe just not clan dependent.

Why not, my dragon character developed a style of Kenjutsu more resembling korean Gum Sool, and he taught it people so long as they proved worthy regardless of clan.

My understanding was that a "universal kenjutsu style" was pretty much just being trained in the Kenjutsu skill but not having any School Techniques to bolster your swordfighting ability. Prime example would be True Ronin in 1e and 2e, who didn't have access to schools and thus were reliant purely upon their skill ranks.

3 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

My understanding was that a "universal kenjutsu style" was pretty much just being trained in the Kenjutsu skill but not having any School Techniques to bolster your swordfighting ability. Prime example would be True Ronin in 1e and 2e, who didn't have access to schools and thus were reliant purely upon their skill ranks.

But that's not the definition of a fighting style. Pure ranks would be the basics of basics, how to hold the sword, how to swing it in the right way to cut and such. Style starts going into specific stances and motions, reacting to specific circumstances in a set way. It holds a person to fight a specific way that the very basics doesn't cover. A punch is a punch reguardles of the martial art, put when to apply the punch and how to fallow it, or react to it becomes the style.

And your understanding was relatively correct. But only abilities you gained would be the skill mastery ones in latter editions, which are gone. As said by seiichiro, that's not really a style.

3rd edition had such universal schools for Ronin, a warrior, a duellist and a yojimbo. Could be used for established schools or intuitive learning.

4th ed has also a generic Ronin one.

but they were actually quite powerful and followed the 5 ranks structure. What I think of is maybe weaker/simpler "schools" that for ex a courtier could still train in without the full rigor of bushi training.

Edited by Nitenman

There are plenty of kata that can be learned that are not school dependent in this edition. That alone would allow someone to construct a school style as long as you give it requirements like other schools. For instance: create a school with no rank abilities but still require the exp expenditure to advance ranks to progress to other Kata. Once mastered, that person can develop the school and you can give it its intro and master rank ability. It's a fairly open system that allows for a lot of customization.

Indeed, first time mechanics will allow to do this rather easily. But it will have to be homebrewed. No biggie, I like homegrowing stuff :) .

Was more thinking maybe they could provide such "school" as few templates with less costs involved or less ranks so non bushi may train in without neglecting to spend XP in their proper school. because not everyone wants to have to homebrew.