Iaijutsu seems pointless

By Kakita Onimaru, in Balance Issues

17 hours ago, Exarkfr said:

Rising Blade can do a crit, but does damage based on damage and without extra successes.

It requires a minimum of one damage to get through. A Damage 5 Katana can penetrate Lacquered Armor (Physical Resist 4) while an ordinary Katana cannot.

Edited by Ultimatecalibur
6 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

It requires a minimum of one damage to get through. A Damage 5 Katana can penetrate Lacquered Armor (Physical Resist 4) while an ordinary Katana cannot.

Oh, you are talking about modified weapons ?
I thought you were talking about using Deadliness (5) instead of Damage (4), which would not be on the same Iaijutsu technique as the one that can do a crit.

If you start using an improved katana, though, be careful that your opponent is not wearing an improved armour.

Or wait for a friend of yours to soften the target with a Strike as Water ;)

The update improves some things and gives some options between the two versions, but...

I still don't get the Opportunity boosts. Drawing and readying an extra weapon? That is only going to help the odd Mirumoto, and even he might prefer to keep it sheathed to do a second iai in the next turn.

I get the feeling they are sort of running out of ideas on OPP improvements. "This is too strong, this is already some oter kata's bonus...eh, draw another sword, that's good."

On 29/10/2017 at 11:10 PM, Sephyr79 said:

The update improves some things and gives some options between the two versions, but...

I still don't get the Opportunity boosts. Drawing and readying an extra weapon? That is only going to help the odd Mirumoto, and even he might prefer to keep it sheathed to do a second iai in the next turn.

I get the feeling they are sort of running out of ideas on OPP improvements. "This is too strong, this is already some oter kata's bonus...eh, draw another sword, that's good."

He can draw at the beggining of the stance, use iai on the second blade, and now he have both weapons ready without using opportunity.

But since japanese blade is made of paper and cant parry, beats me why the Mirumoto would use two weapons.

1 hour ago, Mobiusllls said:

He can draw at the beggining of the stance

Not anymore.
Update removed free drawing/sheathing upon setting stance.

3 hours ago, Mobiusllls said:

He can draw at the beggining of the stance, use iai on the second blade, and now he have both weapons ready without using opportunity.

But since japanese blade is made of paper and cant parry, beats me why the Mirumoto would use two weapons.

The Mirumoto whose school is not in the beta? I can think of a few potential reasons.

2 hours ago, Exarkfr said:

Not anymore.
Update removed free drawing/sheathing upon setting stance.

I found the wording weird so i'm not 100% sure, if thats it. (The grip part confuses me.) But in any case, in water stance you wont lose a turn, and you can do what i said.

I would guess that the Mirumoto School will end up giving Earth and Water (Mirumoto family, Mirumoto Bushi, will Start with water 3 earth 2 fire 2 before choosing any ring to increase. Which would help up them to dual wield as fast as possible using a good ring from their character.

9 hours ago, Mobiusllls said:

I found the wording weird so i'm not 100% sure, if thats it. (The grip part confuses me.) But in any case, in water stance you wont lose a turn, and you can do what i said.

Changing the grip is not new to update 1.0.
It was already in the rulebook.
Only the "ready or stow one item or weapon" part has been removed.

Plus, with the definition of Grip on p143 barely leaves any doubt that it means choosing between the 1-handed and 2-handed lines of a weapon's stats.