Asahina vs. Doji

By marshzd, in Balance Issues

I went to make a Doji Courtier and noticed that I end up with a wasted point going down a particular path, which doesn't make sense. It's actually better stat wise to be an Asahina Courtier, than a Doji Courtier, because of the ring point dispersion.

Doji Courtier -- +3 Air, +3 Water

Crane Clane - +1 Air

Doji Family - +1 Air

Doji Diplomat School - +1 Air ( Air is already maxed at 3, so this is where it gets wasted ), +1 Water

Standing in school - +1 Water

Asahina Courtier -- +3 Air, +3 Water, +1 Anything

Crane Clane - +1 Air

Asahina Family - +1 Water

Doji Diplomat School - +1 Air, +1 Water

Standing in school - +1 anything you want

This could be on purpose, but it stood out to me.

EDIT: Clarified, added some color, and fixed a couple numbering mistakes.

Edited by marshzd

Doji Diplomat can choose other ring to put in place of the wasted air point. Same thing will happen to Hida Hida Bushi, i think, but with the earth ring

I believe there's text to say if you hit 3 and it would increase more you may choose a different Ring to increase, in trying to find that bit though

Page 26:

If a choice would result in a ring rising above rank 3 during character creation, then you must choose a different ring to increase instead, as long as that ring would also not be increased above rank 3.

It's right on page 26 under "Core Identiyy (Clan and Family)

"All characters begin with 1 rank in each ring and 0 ranks in each skill. You cannot rais e a ring or skill above rank 3 during character creation. Ifa choice would result in a ring rising above rank 3 during character creation, then you must choose a different ring to increase instead, as long as that ring would also not be increased above rank 3.

Similarly, if a choice would result in a skill rising above rank 3 during character creation, then you must choose a different skill that is not already at rank 3 or higher to increase instead."

Oh, perfect. Thank you!