Nuts. Safe paint remover?

By LagJanson, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Ok, I messed up. I primed in Jyn with black and layered so many thin layers of orange trying to get the colour that I've started losing detail before getting my levels.

Is there a safe way to remove colour without risking the plastic? I've seen a lot of harsh options that I'd more likely try on metal, but would be concerned to try here. Edit note: Acrylics.

And as a note, I'm never buying black primer again...

Edited by LagJanson

Actually, some Google work had me try alcohol and a toothbrush... Most of the paint and primer is coming off except the orange, which of course I used a different brand of acrylic. *facepalm*

Might have to chalk this up as a hard lesson learned.

You may just need to soak longer. (As long as you don't accidentally use acetone.)

I don't think there are any paint removers that are safe for your nuts. I recommend not putting paint on your nuts.

I use Purple Power for stripping the paint from plastic figures and I have literally stripped hundreds of miniature figures (no joke). It works better, and costs less than the more commonly used Simple Green. It might not fully remove all the black primer if it's oil based, but all the acrylic paint and primer will come off. Perfectly safe for plastic, PVC, metal, resin, etc but it will weaken and usually break superglue bonds.

It's adviseable to use rubber gloves since a bit won't hurt your skin, but it can severely dry out your skin.

Edited by eilif

Would have responded earlier but my hands were cramped from fine toothpick work. The alcohol worked but this paint needed more persuasion to remove from the figure.

Now to find white primer and start again. I'm going to check around for krylon at lunch break tomorrow. Thanks.

2 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

I don't think there are any paint removers that are safe for your nuts. I recommend not putting paint on your nuts.

:blink:

I use super clean in the purple container. It is safe on minis but I would recommend gloves so it does not dry out your hands.