Advice for a brand new GM?

By Scapino, in Game Masters

Only use the rules you know. Hand wave or role-play the rest until you're comfortable with additional rules.

If you know how combat works, you're 80% there. Everything else is style.

I use Obsidian Portal to track my players and our adventures. They can go back through it for a recap, and I can keep good track of who gets what in the GM section.

On 9.10.2017 at 9:29 PM, Concise Locket said:

Only use the rules you know. Hand wave or role-play the rest until you're comfortable with additional rules.

If you know how combat works, you're 80% there. Everything else is style.

Even most of those extensive combat rule additions can be hand waved. Know the dice mechanics, when in doubt handwave OR trust your players, and look stuff up after the session works usually fine. Gameflow > following perfectly the rules.

Though I definitely would make notes on everything which was unclear und look it up. This prevents getting constantly inconsistent with the rules, which is something players absolutely loath when to their disadvantage.

Edited by SEApocalypse

The combat rules aren't that extensive and the basic combat subsystem is the Platonic ideal of how the system's dice mechanics work.

1. Set difficulty by range.
2. Determine if target hit.
2a. If yes, was a critical hit triggered?
2b. If no, did enough Disadvantage appear to make something bad happen?
3. Total damage to target.
4. Apply soak.
5. Apply revised total to target's Wounds (or Strain, if stun).

This might be a bit verbose for a quick-start, but I'm just about done reading Fate Core's latter half and finding that to be exceptional for how to GM. It's so good in my mind that it provides a framework from which I could GM other games, and is in fact very close to a lot of conclusions I've come to over time with a lot of thought. I find myself wishing I'd read this all years ago when I backed the project. While the system itself is different, the techniques introduced are certainly useful and the idea of using aspects to tag scenes is a great way to put a lot of data in a succinct package that's easy to read at the table.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:41 PM, Scapino said:

So I ran the Beginner's Game yesterday for EotE the first act of the Long Arm of the Hutt expansion. My players decided to steal the R5 unit from Vorn's shop on Tatooine and, at the New Meen mine, decided to steal the construction equipment from the Aqualish thugs and use it to pancake some of the bad guy's buildings to send a message to them. It was pretty chaotic and everyone had a blast doing it. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Chaos in the flesh, I have one of those too. Its fun looking back at each session with him around??????????????

If people are making their own characters after the Beginner's Game, set up a Session 0 where you work out how characters know each other, and what players are expecting from the game, as well as lines to be drawn. A friend of mine accidentally traumatised an intensely arachnophobic player once by forgetting to ask before throwing graphically-described giant spiders at him.