Cinematic combat and the Rebel Turtle. Or, how to break the game

By stuuk, in Star Wars: Rebellion

It's turn 6 and I know where the rebel is. He knows it too and has made no real attempt to hide for the last turn at least.
There are now many rebel units at the base and by the time I get there this is the lineup:

2 x shield generator
1 x ion cannon
3 x speeder
1 x turret
7 x troopers
2 x anti-tank troopers

3 x AT-ST
2 x AT-AT
6 x storm troopers
1 x tank

Imps are 5R, 5B, 1G.
rebels are 3R, 5B, 3G.

in the non-cinematic combat system, the rebels would have a +2 hand size advantage in cards but the Imperial would have the benefit of rolling first, potentially allowing card collection and spending with sabers.
I think this is a relatively even fight.

in the cinematic combat system, the rebels put down tow-cable.
The imperials put down armoured patrol - prevent 2R & 2B.
The imperials roll a few sabers they cannot use.
Immediately thereafter, the rebels use their shield generator to play tow-cable again.
thats 8 red hits in two rounds just from cards. The imperials are absolutely destroyed.

I don't know if the intent of the cinematic combat system was do favout the rebels but I think it does to a pretty huge extent.

I'm actually wondering at this point whether it is possible to beat a turtled rebel who intends to fight and win, or die in one big fight.
Todays experience has really turned me off the new combat system.

Tow Cables will deal damage before the imperials roll, therefore your red lightsabers won't be completely useless. Although you will need two in order to save your AT-AT. In contrast Target The Generator will do 3 red damage that the rebels can't do a thing about.

I don't think I would have started with Armored Patrol. In that first round you had to either wipe out the shield generators or the speeders.

Ah but there were two generators..

My opponent had determined that the rebels can win by digging in under the new combat system and then proved it.

The rebels have always been able to win by digging in. You went in with less units. I still think you could have won.

What was your armored target priority? The generators, the speeders, or the turret.

What was your infantry target priority? The troopers or the vanguards.

On 9/30/2017 at 4:20 PM, stuuk said:

It's turn 6 and I know where the rebel is. He knows it too and has made no real attempt to hide for the last turn at least.
There are now many rebel units at the base and by the time I get there this is the lineup:

2 x shield generator
1 x ion cannon
3 x speeder
1 x turret
7 x troopers
2 x anti-tank troopers

3 x AT-ST
2 x AT-AT
6 x storm troopers
1 x tank

Imps are 5R, 5B, 1G.
rebels are 3R, 5B, 3G.

in the non-cinematic combat system, the rebels would have a +2 hand size advantage in cards but the Imperial would have the benefit of rolling first, potentially allowing card collection and spending with sabers.
I think this is a relatively even fight.

in the cinematic combat system, the rebels put down tow-cable.
The imperials put down armoured patrol - prevent 2R & 2B.
The imperials roll a few sabers they cannot use.
Immediately thereafter, the rebels use their shield generator to play tow-cable again.
thats 8 red hits in two rounds just from cards. The imperials are absolutely destroyed.

I don't know if the intent of the cinematic combat system was do favout the rebels but I think it does to a pretty huge extent.

I'm actually wondering at this point whether it is possible to beat a turtled rebel who intends to fight and win, or die in one big fight.
Todays experience has really turned me off the new combat system.

Hey there,

There are a few ways to get around a repeat card play by the rebels

-

-bring a tie striker into space and cancel his card. Now your AT-ATs have at least one guaranteed round to work.

-General Veers and his tactics card allows him to automatically destroy a structure at the start of combat. Combined with the AT-AT combat card you can destroy both generators in the first turn

Note also that the rebels don't have a cancel card they can use when fighting at the rebel base if you destroy any transports in orbit. Their ground cancel card only works if a transport is in the area AND they retreat all their ships right away AND have the legal ability to retreat. Even if they can meet all the above it means they effectively surrender the space battle outright and rely only on their ground forces to keep the base from falling. With your forces in orbit the rebel base cannot build further or receive units so if you have the time you can simply sit on them and bring more units or try for a card play like "We're the bait" to soften them up.

My two cents.

I always bring tie strikers to a base assault. Their card is incredibly helpful but expect them to be targeted in space for that very same reason. Maybe considering bringing them in afterwards in the same round but with a different leader.

Edited by Garrett17