Basing and Re-Basing IA Minis. What did you use?

By eilif, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Longtime wargamer but newbie to IA here. I ignored the game for a long time, but a big lot just got dropped in my lap via a raffle and I couldn't resist so here I am, with plans to buy more!

I'm kind of in love with these IA minis but I'm never happy with plain painted bases on my miniatures so I'm curious what folks are doing to their bases either adding balast/foliage/etc or in completely rebasing.

For myself I don't think I want foliage or balasted bases (already doing that for Runewars) but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Also, I don't want to drop alot of $ on this so I'm leaning towards one of the following.

-Champ Industries Plastic bases. Cheap and a great deck plate type pattern but I've used them alot already, and there isn't much varation.

-Sedition wars bases. Again not a ton of variation but very cool and I've got oodles from parting out 3 copies of that game. Was going to rebase my space marines with these, but I don't think that's going to happen anymore.

-Regular 25mm rounds topped Deathray Designs card base toppers. They're just card, but there's alot of options and they're looking pretty good on some Mice and Mystics figs I'm in-progress on.

Any other suggestions? Pictorial examples much appreciated. I'd even be interested in ballast/foliage schemes.

Thanks in advance!

I have never used other bases than the provided ones in IA or Warhammer Fantasy. With some work you can do a lot with plain bases. If you have looked at my paint thread (pictures are gone now because of this third party thing with photobucket) you'd see I don't go to any length with basing but just experiment a bit. Making forest/snow/sand desert/hard desert and metal. Just vary it a bit.