My First Custom Hero

By Boombafoo, in Descent Home Brews

So I made my first custom Descent hero the other day. And when I presented it to my friend he said it was the dumbest thing he'd ever seen and the rules would never allow for it he'd never let that broken pile of crap play at the table. The thing is I worked really hard on it and I don't see why the rules would never allow for it or at least something with a similar ability. I really just wanted to play a hero with an undying ability or something similar so I went through alot to make him balanced. Was wondering if any of you could explain to me why he is reprehensibly broken.

17370_109531502390864_100000020448889_24

That hero is actually really weak.

On average, Undying means that you need to be killed 1.5 times in order to stay dead, so it's roughly equal in power to just having 50% more wounds.

There are lots of 2 conquest heroes with 12 health and zero armor. I think if you removed the part about gaining Curse tokens, gave him a third trait die, and boosted either his speed or fatigue by one, you'd end up with a slightly weak but vaguely reasonable hero. If you wanted to keep the Curse tokens, I'd probably also increase his wounds to 12 or his armor to 1.

Now, it's also true that the rules don't really provide for the players creating their own heroes, so this, like all custom content, would be a house rule if you included it. Your friend may possibly just want to play with standard content rather than introducing new stuff someone just made up that hasn't been tested or vetted by experts.

There's also a lot of players that dislike the Undying ability on general principle, because it makes the game more volatile.

Ok that was really helpful. I really don't mind him be on a bit weaker side of things. Its just the way my friend went off on me I felt like somewhere I had messed up the math and created a monster. Thanks for the help.

i agree more wounds on your charcter is needed

but Great work on an undying character

Perhaps instead of more Wounds, give him a better version of Undying? Something that occurs more often, or that grants him increasing power each time he "undies". Perhaps "This hero has Undying. Whenever this hero successfully is ressurected from the Undying ability, he returns with 2 extra Wounds, 1 extra Fatigue, 1 extra Armor, and 1 extra Move."

Would make the overlord less likely to try and kill him repeatedly to harvest Conquest from him, for fear of creating a monster themselves.