First Play of Arkham

By hengst2404, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

So basically the only time flying monsters are a serious issue is when they first appear, assuming they spawn on you, and when you end your movement on a street area?

Just so you remember, you have to stop your movement after fighting a monster, which often times leaves you in the street where flying monsters will come to assail you.

10 hours ago, hengst2404 said:

So basically the only time flying monsters are a serious issue is when they first appear, assuming they spawn on you, and when you end your movement on a street area?

Things will become a lot nastier when you add any expansion featuring monster surges (Flyers would move a ton more), and if you have board expansions in play, you'll be stuck out in the streets a lot more, so, it won't be that safe. But core game yeah, Flyers are easily dodgeable

12 hours ago, Julia said:

Things will become a lot nastier when you add any expansion featuring monster surges (Flyers would move a ton more), and if you have board expansions in play, you'll be stuck out in the streets a lot more, so, it won't be that safe. But core game yeah, Flyers are easily dodgeable

Ahh, okay, that is good to know. I think we will do at least one more core play with Cthulu and then try my first expansion, Dunwich. I have Dunwich and I think Insmouth right now.

13 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

Just so you remember, you have to stop your movement after fighting a monster, which often times leaves you in the street where flying monsters will come to assail you.

Yeah, this I am definitely aware of. Thus far I have been very fortunate to be able to evade, I have not gotten caught in the street. I am guessing this luck will not last forever :)

6 hours ago, hengst2404 said:

Ahh, okay, that is good to know. I think we will do at least one more core play with Cthulu and then try my first expansion, Dunwich. I have Dunwich and I think Insmouth right now.

Aye, definitely you'll see more flyers action, plus Innsmouth has a location that's always considered adjacent to the Sky (so, flyers can enter there and up the nightmare level of the game)

6 hours ago, hengst2404 said:

Yeah, this I am definitely aware of. Thus far I have been very fortunate to be able to evade, I have not gotten caught in the street. I am guessing this luck will not last forever :)

True, but you're also avoiding very well the first rookie strategic mistakes, i.e. fighting monsters all the way along (and thus losing precious time). Not sayin' you have to evade forever, beware, but evade is definitely an important part of every winning strategy, especially when you have smallish parties

58 minutes ago, Julia said:

True, but you're also avoiding very well the first rookie strategic mistakes, i.e. fighting monsters all the way along (and thus losing precious time). Not sayin' you have to evade forever, beware, but evade is definitely an important part of every winning strategy, especially when you have smallish parties

This is solely the result of having played Eldritch Horror already and realizing that sometimes combat is not the way to go. Then again combat is far more severe in AH, they play for keeps, so to speak!

Hi all,

I have also just recently started playing AH. It is good to see that others are starting, too. I lurked here for a bit but just joined. (Thanks for your help!) It is difficult to remember all the rules for the different situations. For example, I just played a game against Hastur. I won but then saw that I needed eight clues to seal a gate instead of five. The doom track was at 12 so I surely would have lost if I had played it right. Still fun, though. So far, I've played alone but with four characters. I'm trying to get a friend or two interested, but we really have no experience with board games. I ran across AH through my interest in things Lovecraft.

Thank you for the forum and it's nice to know there are other new players.

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Amanda Sharpe said:

Thank you for the forum and it's nice to know there are other new players.

Welcome to the forum, Amanda.

Have fun with Arkham Horror. It's very easy to make mistakes when first learning the game, but things do get easier with practice.